Speaker positioning

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm getting my house rewired and am going to have cables chased in for the home cinema speakers and will also be wall mounting them.

I'd like to position the front speakers about mid-wall either side of the chimney breast, like so:

|______O______|====chimney====|______O______|

The wall is about 4.5m wide, so positioned as above the speakers would be about 3m apart with approx 75cm each side.

However, Domestic Control is exerting veto power and wants them moved as far to the side walls as possible if not right into the corners. :(

The question is, how far can I move them to the side (i.e. how much space do I need either side of the speakers) while still maintaining as good sound as possible?

I am buying new 5.1 speakers, so I have flexibility on choice to suit the positioning. I have a budget of about £1200-£1500 for the speakers. They will be used about 65% for home cinema, but also about 35% for stereo music listening.

So far I have been considering:

- B&W 685 Theather - but am afraid they need too much space either side??

- B&W MT-25

- Monitor Audio R90HD10

Would also consider KEF T105 (wife likes the look) but not sure how musical they are.

Am open to other suggestions and was awondering if even in-celing speakers would be a realistic option for decent stereo listening? Ceilings are pretty high at 2.8m.

Many thanks,

Tim

scene

Hi! Moving the speakers too far apart will impact their ability to produce a coherent stereo image. Putting them too close to the corners of the room risks impacting their response more because of the reflections. E.g. you might start suffering from boomy bass.

How far away will you be sitting when listening to the speakers (roughly) In the first instance, this should be used to give an initial position for the front (stereo) pair. Ideally you want an angle of 22-30 degrees off straight ahead - i.e an angle between the speakers of 45-60 degrees. Nearer 60 for pure stereo, and nearer 45 for 5.1. You'll need to compromise if your speakers will be used for both.

All the speakers you mention are excellent, but the KEF T series are not that hot for straight stereo.

In ceilings aren't that brilliant for pure stereo - but in-walls might be worth considering. MA and B&W both make very good in-wall speakers that tonally match with the series you have mentioned.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.

The room is 4.5m long across the front by 4.2m deep and the couch will be positioned directly across from the centered chimney breast on the long wall, so figure listening position will be about 3.7m from speakers.

My geometry is a bit rusty but I think that equates to the speakers being either:

- 3.0m apart @ 45 degrees (blue), or

- 4.3m apart @ 60 degrees (red)

- compromise position (green) is ~3.6m apart at ~53 degrees leaving 43cm from center of speaker to corners, less when you take into account width of speaker.

685 fronts are 16cm wide leaving about 35cm of open wall to the side.

MT-25 fronts are 11cm wide leaving about 38cm of open wall to the side.

Is this enough? Do the MT-25s require less open wall space than the 685s?

/sites/whathifi.com/files/images/Setup_0.png

Thanks!

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
While she is out put the speakers where you want them, when she gets back tell her that you can't move them without making a huge mess of the walls.

After a couple of days she will calm down and appreciate the audio quality of your set up.
smiley-wink.gif

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
chudleighpaul said:
While she is out put the speakers where you want them, when she gets back tell her that you can't move them without making a huge mess of the walls.

After a couple of days she will calm down and appreciate the audio quality of your set up.
smiley-wink.gif
its what i did lol

scene

sta99y said:
chudleighpaul said:

smiley-wink.gif
its what i did lol

Always a good approach ;).

Though seriously, the green position looks good.

A

Anonymous

OK, so positioning sorted ... and approved :dance:

Thanks for all the replies.

On speaker choice:

Given the larger size of :the B&W 685s and the somewhat limited amount of open wall space between the speaker and the corner, would I better off going for the smaller sattelites on the MT-25 or R90HD10's? or would the 685s likely still be ok?

Tim

A

Anonymous

Whether you go for a standmount or sat type speaker is really down to personal preference and what you think the other half will like best too (trust me I've been there too). If your looking at conventional speakers, look at the KEF Q300, which are front ported and should help with placement. If you go the sat route, look at the T301's they are amazing and my other half loves the look of them, also there is 20% off both ranges at the moment. Between the M1's and R90HD the MA's would be my choice, but maybe the 180HD as they fit flush to the wall.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts