Speaker Options

ChristianCorrine

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everybody,

At present i have a Marantz SR7010 Av amp and a set of Q acoustics 7000i as a 5.1 system which sounds great although i am looking at an upgrade.

I am thinking of replacing the centre and front left and rights with either:

Q acouctic concept 20s plus stands or 40s with the centre or the 3000 series equivalent.

I would then use the pair of Q7000i up high at the front as Atmos speakers and potentially buy two more for the rear. i would just like to know if this is good plan? Thanks in advance.*good*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ChristianCorrine said:
Hi Everybody,

At present i have a Marantz SR7010 Av amp and a set of Q acoustics 7000i as a 5.1 system which sounds great although i am looking at an upgrade.

I am thinking of replacing the centre and front left and rights with either:

Q acouctic concept 20s plus stands or 40s with the centre or the 3000 series equivalent.                      

I would then use the pair of Q7000i up high at the front as Atmos speakers and potentially buy two more for the rear. i would just like to know if this is good plan? Thanks in advance.*good*

I personally dont see anything wrong with that idea at all.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I had posted the exact question here a little while back. And there were lots of encouraging responses on that thread. You can search it under the subject ' upgrade to atmos and better stereo sound'. Ever since I've managed to buy a pair of concept 40 speakers for front duties. But will have to wait till my next trip to the UK, to get the SR7010 and maybe the PM8005 as well. Iam presently sailing, and once iam home, will test the my Sony str-dn 850 setup with the standard q7000i center and concept 40 LR speakers and see if I really need the concept center. Will post my thoughts once iam done. Iam quite sure that a center concept speaker will always add better sound. But I just don't have the room for one. So will only purchase one if I absolutely have to...

In case you try your system before I do, with the SR7010, please let me know your thoughts as well. Thanks.

ChristianCorrine

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi Newlash09,

Yes if i do i will let you know my thoughts.

Im looking at Q 3090 centre and Q 3020 fronts on concept 20 stands probably.

I have my L & R surrounds high in the corners behind so not sure what im going to do about rear Atmos.

Whether to use them for Atmos then add some L R surrounds on stands i just do want it to look messy.

thanks

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Five point whatever surrounds should go either side of, or slightly behind, your main listening position, or sofa as it's usually called, not way behind. If you have a seven point whatever receiver you should be able to set it up with no side surrounds, just rears. However, it depends on the make and model of your receiver and the software embedded into it.

Both side and rear surrounds should really be at or a little higher than ear level when sat down. Atmos speakers should ideally be overhead. In the case of point two Atmos setups, the two speakers should be directly overhead. In the case of point four setups, they should be at about 45 degrees ahead and behind the sofa. Front highs, angled downwards towards the sofa, are a better compromise, IMHO, that those stupid up-firing add-ons, however.

I wouldn't get too hung up on using the same make and model speakers for surround or Atmos, since they're for effect more than substance, and you might be happier with small speakers you can put on nails in the walls or on stands. Your receiver EQ software should take care of different levels and frequency responses for you.

ChristianCorrine

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback Benedict-Arnold I appreciate it.

My sofa is two thirds of the room back from the tv .

I have a marantz 7010 reciever. So will try just resetting to rears not side or add some sides as well and use the existing for atmos may be.

Then add the fronts high as well with the front left rights I replace.

Replace the centre. Then what to do with the q7000i centre.

Thanks again

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
ChristianCorrine said:
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback Benedict-Arnold I appreciate it.

My sofa is two thirds of the room back from the tv .

I have a marantz 7010 reciever. So will try just resetting to rears not side or add some sides as well and use the existing for atmos may be.

Then add the fronts high as well with the front left rights I replace.

Replace the centre. Then what to do with the q7000i centre.

Thanks again

I've got the 7010 too. Very pleased with it. As far as I remember you can set the 7010 to have rears only, and no sides. Likewise you can set it up to have front highs / wides instead of "proper" overheads for Atmos-ish effects.

As for your old centre - here's a thought. You can, I think - I'd have to check, set up the 7010 to use one single rear, not two. That might leave you a pair of speakers for your sides....

All you have to do is run through the setup menus hard-wired into the 7010 and see what options you have and how those fit the speakers you have on hand.

ChristianCorrine

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi yes im very pleased with the marantz as well i got a good deal at Peter Tyson.

Thanks again for your input.

I think im gonna get two more Q7000i for the right and left surrounds on they stands they do.

Use the two high rears already positioned already for Atmos or rears surrounds.

My wife like the 3050 floorstanders in american walnut which match the walnut BDI ola cabinet.

So i will get them for the front left rights replacing the two Q7000i

Then get the 3000 series centre. The two Q7000i freed up i will put up front hight for Atmos.

So I will have a 5.1.4

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts