speaker levels and measurements?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
my denon amp has set my speaker levels but when i alter the reading on a speaker/s like rears say from -5.0 to say -2.0 the sound is louder from them. is that actually how I manually adjust them to the sound i prefer or should i being doing it a different way. trying to learn and hope i'm doing it right ? any pearls of wisdom would be nice pls

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Andrew

What are you trying to acheive with the SPL meter? getting the volume of each speaker exactly the same at the main listening position?

Your blog also states you think the auto calibration systems don't set them up the 'way you like it' - how would that be? - something different from equal speaker volumes?

I struggle in that I'm not really sure what my surround system is supposed to sound like - I'm always wondering if the sub's too loud or too quiet or whether the rears are too prominent or not etc.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The meter will merely let you check the relative levels of all the channels. I'd always set up by ear, myself...

If you think the rears are too loud, turn them down.
If you think the sub's too prominent, turn it down.
If you can't hear the dialogue clearly, turn the centre channel up.

Stop worrying, and enjoy - they're not going to send the THX police round to take your system away if it's set up the way you like it rather than the correct way.

A

Anonymous

Sorry for my ignorance but there is a question I have always had about sorround

Is it correct that my rear speakers are pretty much silent during movies. They do not carry any dialogue at all - just background sound.

I understand dialogue comes from the centre speakers but still it seems I have a 2.1 system in most movies when the sfx's don't appear very often

I have a Pioneer Lx01 by the way

Thanks!

Fabio

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
If you have a THX film, then they usually start with a bit that whirls around your head. If sounds comes clearly from the rear speakers then I think your system is ok

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts