Speaker in a speaker? Why?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi. I just joined this exciting community with one purpose. I saw a picture of a Sonus Faber speaker online that apparently has a small speaker built in the back side. I was wondering which Sonus model this is and, more importantly, what the function of this back speaker is? Here is the URL: http://audiofederation.com/blog-images/IMG_0585.jpg .

Thank you for your help.

grigorianvlad.

:cheers:

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
"And to further free the speakers from room effects, it’s adopted what it calls a Sound Field Shaper, giving variable radiation geometry. Using extra drive units on the rear of the enclosure, in a development of the classic bipolar speaker idea, it provides a control to adjust how much effect they have."

(From my blog report of the launch, a couple of years ago)

A

Anonymous

Thank you, Andrew.

I will read your blog.

Appreciate the quick reply.

grigorianvlad.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No probs. BTW – and just to clarify – for reasons of licensing, the 'Fenice' name was dropped not so long after the launch, and the speaker is now called 'The Sonus faber'.

A

Anonymous

Andrew, I just finished reading your blog. Enjoyed it very much. Can you help me understand further this feature? Is it supposed to diminish distortion of the sound? The room? How does it work? Does it WORK? What is the functionality of the knobs then?

I appreciate your helping an uneducated newbie on this matter.

grigorianvlad.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Not really – hanving only heard the speakers in the huge Venetian palazzo featured in the blog, I have no idea how they sound in a 'normal' room.

A

Anonymous

That is understandable, Andrew. I just found some other posts about them. Only 30 made with a price tag of $200,000 (per pair?) No wonder only a few lucky ones heard them in a room.

On an unrelated subject - I wonder what was the meaning of this "Disgusting language" comment?

Did he mean the article in blog? I've read it again and did not find anything to suggest that.

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
grigorianvlad said:
On an unrelated subject - I wonder what was the meaning of this "Disgusting language" comment?

Did he mean the article in blog? I've read it again and did not find anything to suggest that.

No, nor me.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Sorry gentlemen - the bad language was (supposed to be) a joke. How often manufacturers seem to invent phrases to 'sell' their equipment. My intention was not to open debate on this. My appologies.

Regards

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
PS - Having noticed that this post appeared twice - I had the pages opened twice in my browser - one window with my comment and another window showing the posts. A small bug I guess and we can't remove our own posts. Sorry again !:silenced:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts