Speaker Hunting Again... : )

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Right, this time I'm making a proper decision. I need (want) some new speakers...and I've narrowed the search down to a few...it's just I'm not sure which to pick from those! I need a little help before I listen to them to narrow it down more!

My first question is inavoidable: To get full dynamics out of my music, do I need to get floorstanders, even if my room is 15ft by 9ft? (Speakers along short wall, roughly 2 meters apart.)

Anyway:

Sonus Faber Concerto Domus or
ProAc Studio 140 or
ProAc Reference D Two or
Spendor S5e or S6e or

And please suggest more for under the £1600 price mark! Which of the above do you think are best for Pink Floyd, Yes, Deep Purple and some accoustic/jazz stuff too? Oh, and if any of you have seen my set-up...the wardrobe is VERY close to the right speaker! But I don't want to compromise the bass depth, power and control! Oh, and did I mention I like dynamics?

A

Anonymous

Well you probably know what I'm going to suggest. There are several Totems in your pricerange that you really should audition. I'd also suggest B&W 704s, although they may be overpowering in your room.

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:B&W 805s?

It's my mind telling me that a dinky little box can't produce proper bass and dynamics that puts me off them...unless someone can prove otherwise!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
B&W 805's - yes yes...

B&W 704's - No no...

The 805's produce great bass for their size and superb soundstage too. Thre 704's are awful. Hollow sounding, lacking in bass depth and poor uncomfortable midrange/treble...

Youve a great budget by the looks of it but do you not think it'd be best to save it until youve got a decent room to have your set-up in instead of your bedroom?

Thats just my opinin.

A

Anonymous

At the risk of being contrary, I'd say your list is long enough. Unfortunately it is a tendency of humankind to recommend what they already have, which means you may end up with a list too long to demo for this lifetime!

The wardrobe worries me. You have the choice: either brace the wardrobe wherever possible and then stuff it with sound deadening material, or sell it.

Good luck - when I followed your path I ended up with a considerably reduced bank balance, new speakers and a new amp to drive them.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:Big Chris:B&W 805s?

It's my mind telling me that a dinky little box can't produce proper bass and dynamics that puts me off them...unless someone can prove otherwise!

Your room is a good size, but it ain't huge. I'd be more worried about flooding the room with unruly bass.

leftfield

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Until recently I would have agreed with D_A_N with regards to the B&W 704's, however since the introduction of a Power amp they have been a revelation and my listening room is along similar proprtions to yours. They are worth a demo, just make sure you plug the rear ports.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Ruark Talisman 3 would suit your budget nicely and is a great all rounder.

Also B&W 705 which I use are great. Bear in mind they took over 100 hours of use to calm the treble.

Be sure to check out Diapson Ares also. Highly underated speaker well within your budget at 1000 pound.

Or what about Linn speakers. They are well regarded.

A

Anonymous

Too much bass is not a problem - really! My current Wharfedale's do not cause the room to resonate sub-35hz frequencys. The only thing with the wardrobe, is it can rob the speakers of a clear midrange and doesn't allow them to breathe. That said, perhaps the PMC FB1i may be what I'm looking for - thank's for reminding me TearDrop! Perhaps the 805s will suit...I need to give them a listen for sure. Oh, and as for Linn speakers, my local dealer says that due to the tonality of them, they are more suited to Linn electronics - although still good, but not as good value as the best.

Oh, and I had a look at a Arcam Media Server yesterday...the price they charge for a computer with a frankly tiny hard-drive is a little on the silly side! Leave it to Naim, Arcam!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:

Oh, and I had a look at a Arcam Media Server yesterday...the price they charge for a computer with a frankly tiny hard-drive is a little on the silly side! Leave it to Naim, Arcam!

How did it sound?

I must be getting old, I thought 400gb was a decent amount of storage!

They're doing brand new ones on eBay for £1500. 4 available. Just incase you can be swayed!

A

Anonymous

Oh it sounded great, but I would expect that from a £3000 source! It was of CD quality...although the files weren't compressed. The reason I feel 400gb is not enough, is that it's only enough for just over 500 compressed CDs. I have nearly that much as it is, and my hard-drive on my PC is two, 1TB which are very high quality, high speed SATA II 7200rpm ones...and that only cost me £200 in total! Add to that a decent D/A converter and a CD recorder a little computer to control it all, a case and an output stage...that surely can't come anywhere near £1000? Then again, for £1500, I'll be snapping myself up a bargain! Au revoir!

A

Anonymous

You probably know this already, but bear in mind that when you audition some standmounts (which would be the route I'd suggest) you'll probably perceive them to be "lacking low end" since your ears are attuned to your Evos. The Evos certainly do bass, but IMHO it's a pretty flabby, muddy bass. You'll get much tighter, more precise bass from a good pair of standmounts for your budget / room size, but it'll require a bit of aural readjustment on your part. Good luck.

T

the record spot

Can't help but wonder with two sources at less than £400 why you're planning to lash out £1600 on speakers? Wouldn't a source upgrade be in order also? With that budget you can achieve a vastly improved sound, probably also achieving the bass you want (Exposure 2010s for example - £600 or probably better on a deal) and improved definition through a higher quality speaker. Don't ATC do something tasty around £1000?

Also agree you probably aren't hearing true bass but you know that better than I!

A

Anonymous

PMC GB1i - be careful with the FB1s as they're very exciting but overwhelming in the wrong room. In a different life I'd have the FB1s :)

letsavit

Apr 2, 2008
Visit site
RE: your wardrobe problem...my whole system sits on an oak cabinet in an alcove, the speakers are a good 300mm from the back wall but both have walls either side, about 150mm away. I spent an afternoon in my hifi shop listening to speakers next to their corners and spendor's where the best by far.

They seem to sound the same where ever there put, and that same is good.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Can't help but wonder with two sources at less than £400 why you're planning to lash out £1600 on speakers?

That's up next after the speakers (I like to do things bit by bit just for the fun of it!) - for that, I'm looking at the Arcam CD37 or the MS250 (if that price stays under £1500) and for a turntable, the LP12 of course! The thing is, I feel almost guilty spending this much on stuff, even if I can afford it; I thought my CD73 would last me for 10 years, but maybe not...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:Right, this time I'm making a proper decision. I need (want) some new speakers...and I've narrowed the search down to a few...it's just I'm not sure which to pick from those! I need a little help before I listen to them to narrow it down more!

My first question is inavoidable: To get full dynamics out of my music, do I need to get floorstanders, even if my room is 15ft by 9ft? (Speakers along short wall, roughly 2 meters apart.)
Anyway:
Sonus Faber Concerto Domus or
ProAc Studio 140 or
ProAc Reference D Two or
Spendor S5e or S6e or
And please suggest more for under the £1600 price mark! Which of the above do you think are best for Pink Floyd, Yes, Deep Purple and some accoustic/jazz stuff too? Oh, and if any of you have seen my set-up...the wardrobe is VERY close to the right speaker! But I don't want to compromise the bass depth, power and control! Oh, and did I mention I like dynamics?

Do you actually really like your fmj now or are you trying to make up for some possible shortcomings of it? If so, what is it. If not, what is it you dont like about your current speakers?

A

Anonymous

No, don't get me wrong, after I put those bannana clips on the back, the sound improved enormously and I'm quite satisfied with it (even if I still don't believe it's worth the £800 I paid for it). The problem with my current speakers, is that the soundstage is poor (make that very poor) - no depth, no accuracy and no height and other issues with lack of detail and punch from them...i've just heard soooo much better from systems which were £500 that I feel I need to upgrade them.

Am I being obsessive?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
There are some nice looking Focals on eBay.

Not heard Focal home speakers before, but had Focal car speakers for years. They were great. When I got my new car, I gave the Focals to my brother and bought myself some JL audio speakers instead...........I wish I kept the Focals.........:-(

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:No, don't get me wrong, after I put those bannana clips on the back, the sound improved enormously and I'm quite satisfied with it (even if I still don't believe it's worth the £800 I paid for it). The problem with my current speakers, is that the soundstage is poor (make that very poor) - no depth, no accuracy and no height and other issues with lack of detail and punch from them...i've just heard soooo much better from systems which were £500 that I feel I need to upgrade them.

Am I being obsessive?

... certainly
emotion-2.gif

Seriously though, it just seems to me that when you had your old JVC you've seemed much happier?

Perhaps its that you expect a lot know you've spent 800 quid on an amp where before you had an old thing that performed way beyond what you heard elsewhere.

Anyway, assuming you like your amp enough to keep it for a while start some home auditioning of some of the very good products suggested elsewhere in this thread. Amplifier/speaker matching is tricky, especially in your case where the speakers can not be positioned optimally without problems, that itself can seriously undermine the sound you get as you well know. Good luck

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I will hear the new missions (stand mount and floorstanders) this afternoon. Problem is I can only cram that much into it and they are brand new, not properly run in, should give an idea though and they look absolutely fantastic in gloss black.

Thing is, bit like Arcam amps, I've not heard yet Mission speakers I'd buy but would be pleasantly surprised if they are as good as they look. Incidentally I will try them with Arcam amongst others all being well.

A

Anonymous

Oh dear - I have a feeling this thread is going to end up like the last "Speaker Hunting" thread...

You know what, I'm going to stick with my current speakers, and I'm going to enjoy my music and forget about my silly hi-fi dreams. For £1500, I'm hardly getting a revelation in sound - but £1500 spent on a lens for my camera will be amazing.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a premaddona (or however it's spelt) but I've had enough with spending money on hi-fi and then gaining, what? A slightly better "soundstage" and more "neutral tonality" when I had tonnes more fun with my old JVC and a wooden box with three cones in it - besides, Im 15...why am I looking for "hi-fi" anyway?

And thanks to everyone on here who has put up with my consistant moaning and hi-fi dilemas. I think I knew there was something wrong when I reached created the "Bitterly Dissapointed" thread...and hats off to you if you enjoy this type of thing, but I've had enough to be honest.

If any of you remember one of the first posts I made here in early December, it was that I was dissapointed with a B&W 685, Rotel RA-04 and RCD-06 system. I should have realised then that £1000 on hi-fi is hardly better than a £300 "lo-fi" IMHO...

When I had my old JVC, I used to play music all the time and love it and not care about the quality - as long as it was loud, it was clear and it had plenty of bass...now, I'm putting in a CD (what happened to multichangers?) and playing a song, get bored and turn it off.

Now where did I put my ipod?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts