Speaker decision...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi - I'm a newbie around here. I was into hi-fi about 10 years ago and then had kids (Floorstanders + toddlers = disaster).

My rugrats are growing up and so I'm treating myself to a Home cinema setup.

I'm getting a Sony KDL-40-V-4000 TV, Sony BDPS 350 Blu-ray player and a Sony STR DG820 amp. I reckon I'm pretty safe with this lot.

My decision is about speakers. In my loft I have a pair of Sony SS176E floorstanders. These were WHF Speaker of the Year in about 1995 and cost £250 then. I also have a JBL MR Centre, again very well thought of and it was about £100. My idea is to buy a separate sub and rears to make a 5.1 system.

My other option is the Q-tronix 1010 set, which I know is great.

What would sound best do you think? I know AV amps are 1000% better than 12 years ago, but have speakers moved that much? My room is 4m x 3m and the system would be mainly for TV, DVDs and PS3 altough I love music too and would play CDs now and again.

Thanks in anticipation.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I cant say for sure but I would say that Sony dont make particularly good speakers so id be looking at getting a whole new set if I were you. Make sure its all the same range else it wont 'tonally' match and never quite sound right. How much are you thinking of spending and what on?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd go with a new set - it's really important for surround sound consistency that at the very least the fronts and centres are a tonal match.

The Q Acoustics 1010i are a great match for the rest of that system, and are the best at that price as movie/music all-rounders, too.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Good speakers, i think you mean Q acoustics 1010 which got an improvement to 1010i 1010 package about £299 and 1010i £450 if youve got a budget of say £500-600 then you cant go wrong with any of these packages . Their all good for movies and ok for music you may be able to up grade to floorstanders for Quads and Tannoy f1 customs to f4.

[*]TANNOY ARENAS £400
[*]QUAD-LITES £450-£595
[*]TANNOY F1 CUSTOMS £595

A

Anonymous

Just bumping this up as I'd really like to know where you can get the Tannoy's for £400??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts