Speaker cone damage

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi people, my first post, hope you can help!

Today while cleaning I took the covers off my speakers only to find some minor damage on the left speakers cone. Two small dents like a pot mark, one near the edge and one about a cm in from the edge. Also a 1cm long staight dent. They all occur in the bottom third of the speaker.

I hadn't noticed any problems with the left speaker, but now I'm not so sure, the mid range does seem a little dull, but my room I listen in isn't ideal and both speakers aren't the same distance from a wall ect Would damage like this be having an affect?

They are Monitor Audio S2's. Would it be possible for the cone/cones to be replaced, do Monitor offer such a service? I can't tell from their website. I'm contacting my HiFi dealer on monday but would llike to know my options.

Thanks in advance

Ryge

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Yes, your dealer should definitely be able to replace the cone. It shouldn't be a problem at all - I'm sure MA will be happy to supply one.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Rygen:
Hi people, my first post, hope you can help!

Today while cleaning I took the covers off my speakers only to find some minor damage on the left speakers cone. Two small dents like a pot mark, one near the edge and one about a cm in from the edge. Also a 1cm long staight dent. They all occur in the bottom third of the speaker.

I hadn't noticed any problems with the left speaker, but now I'm not so sure, the mid range does seem a little dull, but my room I listen in isn't ideal and both speakers aren't the same distance from a wall ect Would damage like this be having an affect?

They are Monitor Audio S2's. Would it be possible for the cone/cones to be replaced, do Monitor offer such a service? I can't tell from their website. I'm contacting my HiFi dealer on monday but would llike to know my options.

Thanks in advance

Ryge

Is it possible to blind test this? What I mean is, now you know one of the speakers is damaged slightly, your hearing will be assuming it sounds bad. I wonder if you can try getting someone else to swap them around, and obviously replace the covers... then see if you can consistantly identify the damaged speaker? It might be that the small dents have next to no ill effect on the sound, and you can stop worrying...although the knowledge in itself might put paid to that ;(

A

Anonymous

If the dents are minor it probably wont effect them sonically.If you remove the driver can the dents be carefully pushed out from the rear? If you really want them fixed and the new driver is too expensive here in Aus, so I am guessing in the UK also there are reconing services.What they do is remove the cone and coil and replace with one of the same material and impedence.Really though I would be amazed if the damage you described was audable.Try putting the left speaker on the right and vica verca as maybe it is the room , or another factor afecting the midrange.Many years ago I bought some speakers, cant remember the brand, how annoying, they had a big black sock over them as a speaker cover. I removed it to check them(second hand) and one of the cones had a 2cm in each direction rip about 2cm from the edge. My dad stepped in and carefully glued the triangle back. He did it so well not only you couldnt see it , but you couldnt hear it either.I asked a friend who worked in a Hifi shop and all the guys tryed to guess which the damaged speaker was, but all admitted they couldnt tell any difference.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
MA's Gold series has dimpled cones. Dont worry
emotion-11.gif

tounra

Sep 25, 2007
Visit site
My AE EVO 3's cone (of the bass driver) has two dents as well.
One as a result of disconnecting a wire, which hit the cone and one dent when I removed my belt from my jeans...it hit the same cone.
Needless to say from that day on I put the speaker grills back on.

Sonically I never heard any change in performance, maybe there is, I don't know, but as long as I don't hear it it is fine by me.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'm no expert but I believe an important mechanical factor in speaker cones is the 'pistonic' movement of the cone. I would think that as long as that is achieved ie. the cone/surround interface is intact, a dent makes little difference as long as it does'nt punch through the cone material. This probably also applies to protruding tweeter domes.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Thanks for the advice. Going to swap them around see if that affects the sound. Why I did not think of that before I don't know. The damage really is minor so perhaps it is all in my mind, blind testing should resolve things.

Thanks

Ryge

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts