Speaker cables?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Because of our room layout, it’s not possible for me to have the amplifier and the speakers close to each other. So I am now wondering about the correct gauge of wire that I should use in relation to the cable length. The speakers are the Mission 782, which, on the id plate states that they are 8 ohms, but in the user manual it says 6. Putting a test meter across the terminal reads 6.25ohm, so I’m working on 6 ohms.

The distance at the furthers point between the amp and speakers is currently about 8 meters, and going from the chart at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge, it indicates that I should be using16 AWG wire.

As this is not something that I have ever looked into before, correct me if I’m wrong, and excuse my ignorance, but I’m assuming that the 16 gauge relates to the thickness of each individual strand making up the cable. That being the case, how do I determine how many strands of 16 gauge wire would I need? I’m guessing that this has something to do with the amplifier wattage?

As I have a few options in the amplification area, this could range from between 60 watts per channel to 180 watts per channel, in which case, I’m supposing that I need to work off the 60 figure.

As I said, I don’t really know so would appreciate your advice on this.

Thank you.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
2.5mm / 322 strand or 4mm 511 strand.

For the longer run, I'd be inclined to take the 4mm to be on the safe side.

HTH.

AWG is used more in the US

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that.

Is it recommended that both cables be the exact same length?

I’ve also been looking at this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300590215025&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123 which seems ideal for under carpet installation.

Does anyone have an opinion on this type of solid conductor compared to the stranded version, is it an advantage or disadvantage. I assume it could be calculated as to what it is equivalent to in the stranded range? 15 AWG x ?

Thanks

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
The gauge refers to the cross sectional area of all the conducting strands put together. With solid core cable that would be 1 strand. Or you could have hundreds of very thin strands making up the same gauge. The practical advantage of many thin strands is that the cable will be more flexible than one the same area with a single strand and less liable to break if it is flexed a lot.

The American gauge system is counter-intuitive in that the higher the gauge number the smaller the cross sectional area.

With speaker connections you need 2 insulated cables per channel one for "positive" one for "negative", which is why speaker cables usually come as a double cable in a figure 8 or a figure I / H layout.

16 gauge copper cable will be fine for your longish cable run. Although it's the sort of thing that there's no harm in over-engineering it and getting a thicker cable than you need if you can find one that's comfortably affordable to you.

My recommendation for speaker cables is that you start with the cheapest decently thick cable you can find. This could be something that's free such as the power flex off a broken electric lawnmower and that you use this as a baseline to compare against any other cables that your fancy trying.

And as for the amplifier power you could find one with less than 60 watts which would sound fine as long as you didn't want to listen at nightclub disco levels which would risk getting nasty clipping distortion which can damage the speakers or you could find one with more than 180 watts which would be fine as long as you didn't turn it up to Motorhead live concert levels which would risk damaging the speakers.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
spike said:
Thanks for that.

Is it recommended that both cables be the exact same length?

I’ve also been looking at this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300590215025&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123 which seems ideal for under carpet installation.

Does anyone have an opinion on this type of solid conductor compared to the stranded version, is it an advantage or disadvantage. I assume it could be calculated as to what it is equivalent to in the stranded range? 15 AWG x ?

Thanks

It doesn't matter about equal lengths, though most folks prefer to keep them equal for peace of mind.

No idea about the flat cable you propose. It looks to be aimed more at home theatre installations. But that's not to say it wouldn't be OK.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts