Speaker cables £30?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
chinese versions - interesting !
kimber warn about these fakes on their website i believe.

the nordost ribbon designs, the kimber weave designs and the standard 500 strand bunched together types will all have different measurements of resistance, capacitance, inductance etc.

this "should" mean they will sound different but it may be subtle (in my experience) or not noticeable in many systems...

comparing cables that are basically the same construction / design eg all "bunched" together conductors to another that is basically the same is a waste of time.

thing is that's what you actually get with "entry level / "budget" cable designs - there is very little to no difference between them...

you need to try / test completely different designs in your own unique system to gauge any differences - nordost vs kimber is a great example.

sadly though these more exotic designs are priced so stupidly that only the "dedicated" can actually afford to try them !

Indeed - they even sell it terminated for about £40-50 for a 2m pair for the "12TC" type stuff instead of £800+ from the RA site. I'd never normally advocate buying fakes, but a lot of it doesn't include any Kimber markings. They claim to use all the same materials down to the insulation and variable copper strands but didn't feel lucky not getting the one batch of aluminium stuff. (although they do do some Nordost copies as well!)

Agreed on the part re cables of the same construction, the difference between 99.999 and 99.9999% purity copper over a 2m stretch of heavy gauge cable I think would be absolutely trivial. Don't think I'll ever realistically get anything more expensive than the 4PR to be honest - like the idea of the "weave", not the material changes you get for many times the price

D

Deleted member 188516

Indeed - they even sell it terminated for about £40-50 for a 2m pair for the "12TC" type stuff instead of £800+ from the RA site. I'd never normally advocate buying fakes, but a lot of it doesn't include any Kimber markings. They claim to use all the same materials down to the insulation and variable copper strands but didn't feel lucky not getting the one batch of aluminium stuff. (although they do do some Nordost copies as well!)

Agreed on the part re cables of the same construction, the difference between 99.999 and 99.9999% purity copper over a 2m stretch of heavy gauge cable I think would be absolutely trivial. Don't think I'll ever realistically get anything more expensive than the 4PR to be honest - like the idea of the "weave", not the material changes you get for many times the price

i dont think i'll buy speaker cable again ever as i'm going active speakers - mains cables though...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts