Speaker cables £30?

12oner

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hello!

Hope everyone is well.

I've got my speakers and amp, last bit of advise on here if I may...

Can anyone recommend (advise if possible) a set of 1m, banana plugged speaker cables, for around £30?

I'm near the end of sorting my first set up and fear I might never listen to it if i get hung up on cables.

I know a lot of cable claims/effects are mainly bs but just wanted a pair that might be a little nicer than just the stripped standard.

Cheers!

michael hoy

If it's good enough for Abbey Road, it's good enough for me.
Seriously though, it is a very good cable, the shotgun style works for me and made it easy to run in the wall.

One metre isn't much for speaker placement, if you can afford it buy double what you need as this will future-proof possible speaker placement in the years to come rather than leaving you with 2x 1 metre lengths that are then unusable.

Can anyone recommend (advise if possible) a set of 1m, banana plugged speaker cables, for around £30?

but just wanted a pair that might be a little nicer than just the stripped standard.

Fwiw, i am using basic 79 strand speaker cables @ £1/m.

Here's a picture of the basic 79 strand cables (without plugs) in the back of Lyngdorf Audio's TDAI-3400 amplifier @ £5k which i am using -

79 strand s cables 1.jpg

D

Deleted member 188516

Fwiw, i am using basic 79 strand speaker cables @ £1/m.

Here's a picture of the basic 79 strand cables (without plugs) in the back of Lyngdorf Audio's TDAI-3400 amplifier @ £5k which i am using -

View attachment 1399

would you get a better sound if using 500 strand speaker cable and banana plugs or spades ?

D

Deleted member 188516

Probably not, over a 1 metre length.......... :) and the OP wants bananas...

my question was addressed to rick, specifically, as the amplifier in his photo will accept bananas or spades.

(rick has mentioned he also uses / recommends 500 strand cable too so i wondered why he is not using that in the photo).

if all the op wants is a 1m pair £2 on some qed 79 strand will be as good as anything i suppose !

D

Deleted member 188516

Hello!

Hope everyone is well.

I've got my speakers and amp, last bit of advise on here if I may...

I'm near the end of sorting my first set up and fear I might never listen to it if i get hung up on cables.

I know a lot of cable claims/effects are mainly bs but just wanted a pair that might be a little nicer than just the stripped standard.

Cheers!

if you can stretch your budget slightly try this...

D

Deleted member 188516

i'm not sure what this cable has in common with the range topping supremus model (trickled down technology ?) but, we believe you qed, we believe you !

would you get a better sound if using 500 strand speaker cable and banana plugs or spades ?

Yes although if basic 500 strand speaker cables are not available or impractical to use then use basic 79 strand speaker cables instead which are more than capable btw.

Anyway, i'll get around to using basic 500 strand speaker cables when I've got a moment to spare. In the meantime basic 79 strand speaker cables continue to do a sterling job between Lyngdorf Audio's TDAI-3400 and ATC's curved SCM19 passive monitors (y)

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I got some Kimber 4PR from Russ Andrews, because science. Too expensive unless you buy it “off the reel” at £11 something a metre and terminate it yourself. The “theory” makes most sense to me out of any of the ones I’d looked at.

They look nice if nothing else (the brown complements my 70s speakers nicely :LOL:). Jury is obviously out on cables but they were just about cheap enough not to worry at that price.

D

Deleted member 188516

Yes although if basic 500 strand speaker cables are not available or impractical to use then use basic 79 strand speaker cables instead which are more than capable btw.

Anyway, i'll get around to using basic 500 strand speaker cables when I've got a moment to spare. In the meantime basic 79 strand speaker cables continue to do a sterling job between Lyngdorf Audio's TDAI-3400 and ATC's curved SCM19 passive monitors (y)

thanks for the reply - i'll stop now before i get told off !

D

Deleted member 188516

I got some Kimber 4PR from Russ Andrews, because science. Too expensive unless you buy it “off the reel” at £11 something a metre and terminate it yourself. The “theory” makes most sense to me out of any of the ones I’d looked at.

They look nice if nothing else (the brown complements my 70s speakers nicely :LOL:). Jury is obviously out on cables but they were just about cheap enough not to worry at that price.

the "famous" kimber weave / woven cable design.

if speaker cables do sound different, such designs, (including the flat ribbon ones from nordost) should highlight any differences when compared to the "basic" 500 strand budget types.

D

Deleted member 188516

I would prefer if you just answered the question to be honest.
Why would the design matter so much.

i'll ask kimber kable and nordost and will then get back to you !

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
the "famous" kimber weave / woven cable design.

if speaker cables do sound different, such designs, (including the flat ribbon ones from nordost) should highlight any differences when compared to the "basic" 500 strand budget types.

Agreed, if anything's going to make a difference it'd be something like that. If anyone's feeling brave and wants to give it a try there are some "homages" to the 8TC and 12TC available from China for a fraction of the cost - claiming to be high purity copper in the same "varistrand" configuration as the originals - excellent reviews and user pics check out but knowing my luck I'd have got the one pot metal knock off variety so stuck with the 4PR

D

Deleted member 188516

Agreed, if anything's going to make a difference it'd be something like that.

If anyone's feeling brave and wants to give it a try there are some "homages" to the 8TC and 12TC available from China for a fraction of the cost - claiming to be high purity copper in the same "varistrand" configuration as the originals - excellent reviews and user pics check out but knowing my luck I'd have got the one pot metal knock off variety so stuck with the 4PR

chinese versions - interesting !
kimber warn about these fakes on their website i believe.

the nordost ribbon designs, the kimber weave designs and the standard 500 strand bunched together types will all have different measurements of resistance, capacitance, inductance etc.

this "should" mean they will sound different but it may be subtle (in my experience) or not noticeable in many systems...

comparing cables that are basically the same construction / design eg all "bunched" together conductors to another that is basically the same is a waste of time.

thing is that's what you actually get with "entry level / "budget" cable designs - there is very little to no difference between them...

you need to try / test completely different designs in your own unique system to gauge any differences - nordost vs kimber is a great example.

sadly though these more exotic designs are priced so stupidly that only the "dedicated" can actually afford to try them !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts