Speaker cable vs Interconnect cable length

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just got around to running each speaker with it's own stereo amp very good result.....but
emotion-6.gif

.a sad question arise - I could move my power amps close to the speakers with long i/c's and then have short speaker cable : given equal 'quality' of cabling are long interconnects better than long speaker cable? Or is it not worth worrying about?

A

Anonymous

some may agree and some may not i myself run very short interconects 0.5 of a mater and use 3 meter silver coated speaker cable and i did see improvements in having shorter speaker cable but i dont think interconnects lenght matters unless u start going up to 1.5meters this mind is my point of view

A

Anonymous

never really thought about this argument before... however, what springs to my mind is would you really want youy amps or cdps really close to your speakers?

A

Anonymous

I would chose longer speaker cables, short ICs as the sound deteriorates on longer runs, that's why they use balanced cables on long runs.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
not so silly,longer runs of ic's have there signal on tap,balanced connections just cut out any interferenece from other inputs a shorter run of speaker cable is the way to go,the shorter the distance from amp to speaker is better than the other way around.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"][quote user="Sobryma"]Or is it not worth worrying about?[/quote] Spot on![/quote]

emotion-2.gif
Yeah get your point

Only got some sort of new speaker cable but haven't got it terminated yet, and seen some long i/c's so was wondering.....the even bigger question is would Mrs Sobryma let me put the amps behind the speakers - oh dear perhaps not an option at all.
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

As I said on the 'pre-power or integrated' thread, I noticed a worthwhile improvement in sound quality when I switched to very short speaker cables and longer ICs back to the pre. I've had no problems at all with ICs of 3m length. You do need to ensure that the monoblock power amps are on isolated platforms to protect them from vibration, but these are easy and cheap to make yourself.

Sobryma, the only issue regarding close-to-speaker positioning that I've found is to avoid any position close to a reflex port. To the side of the speaker seems best.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="papagano"]

As I said on the 'pre-power or integrated' thread, I noticed a worthwhile improvement in sound quality when I switched to very short speaker cables and longer ICs back to the pre. I've had no problems at all with ICs of 3m length. You do need to ensure that the monoblock power amps are on isolated platforms to protect them from vibration, but these are easy and cheap to make yourself.

Sobryma, the only issue regarding close-to-speaker positioning that I've found is to avoid any position close to a reflex port. To the side of the speaker seems best.

[/quote]

Thanks, I just know at some point I'll end trying this out once I find a way of selling it as feature! I think I'd be ok-ish on location of amps as speakers are bottom ported only.

A

Anonymous

Sorry guys but we are going to have to disagree short ICs and longer speakers cables

http://sound.westhost.com/cables-p3.htm#interconnects

A

Anonymous

Another one here, from TNT. keep your ICs a short as possible.
Looooong interconnect, or???
Dear Lucio,
I'm moving in about a month and I have to re-install my audio equipment in my new living room. The lay-out of the room (with its furniture) is so that I have to place my record player (a Project Debut II) a few meters (about 4) away from my phono-stage equipped amplifier (Marantz PM-68). The phono-cable on the player isn't long enough of course. Do you have any ideas to solve this problem?
Thanks in advance!
Greetings,
Heroen Hartjes - E-mail: Heroen.Hartjes@Interbrew.com

LC
Dear Heroen,
long phono interconnects are a NO-GO! It is better to have long interconnects carrying a line level signal (e.g. from CD player to amp).
Hence, if you can't move the amp closer to the turntable I see only one solution: buy a separate phono preamp (the sound quality will benefit, too) and place it as close as possible to the turntable. Then run a pair of interconnect cables from the phono preamp to an AUX input of your Marantz.
Hope this helps,
Lucio Cadeddu

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I couldn't noticed any different to the sound at all (recently swap 1.2 metre to 0.7 pair of interconnects) and I am runing pre/power!

A

Anonymous

Your not going to notice any difference between such a short distance, but the signal would degrade over a good few metres.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts