Speaker Cable Upgrades - Fact or Fiction?

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
After acquiring a pair of Totem Dreamcatchers for use with my Arcam CD73T and Naim NAC62/NAC90 pair, I have tried the 2 sets of speaker cables that I own. The NAC A4 set were very expensive when I bought them, but sounded dull with the Dreamcatchers. The Chord Carnival Silvers sounded much more musical, and not as bass light as I had expected. The difference between the two was very marked.

So, is it worth trying some other ones as a 'cheap' upgrade. There are some good recommendations on the What Hifi review pages, but there are also threads where people reckon that there is too much myth about the magical properties of different cables. Given that the Chord Carnivals are my current preferred cable, then will QED, Audioquest, Atlas etc offer something at a sensible price that will give me even better sound?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
only your ears can decide. So, try and find a dealer who will loan you some and try them.

A cheaper alternative is trying speaker placement and moving your room around. You may find the results more revealing than different speaker cables, and it won't cost you anything.

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
It's so easy to throw away a great deal of money fannying about with cables - my advice would be to audition a few, and if you can hear a marked difference then perhaps investing in better cable is the right way to go. If the difference is minimal, save your money for more worthwhile investments. The cable craze can get rather out of hand (and in my opinion ridiculous) in the quest for acoustic perfection.

It'll always be your call at the end of the day.

Joseph :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I have used the same speaker cable for years. Its a beast with an inpractical, stiff and inflexible jacket and widely spaced conductors of much copper. Many amplifiers and speakers have been at both ends and it works perfectly every time ... amazing.

I regularely de-magnetise it, usually by standing accidentally on it when hoovering ...

regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts