Speaker cable recommendation

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I've just upgraded my speakers to a pair of PMC TB2+s. I've also upgraded the stands to the Atacama SE5s. I'm using them with the a Kandy MkIII Amp and CD connected with Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable. Performance is OK but I could do with a tad more detail and enthusiasm. Any thoughts?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
1st question... Sea fisherman by any chance? Just the name...

2nd question - Obvious i know but have you mass loaded the speaker stands and how are your speakers positioned in regards to your main listening point?

A

Anonymous

how much are you willing to spend? do you want to bi wire or do you want to single wire? what interconnect do you use?

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="d_a_n1979"]1st question... Sea fisherman by any chance? Just the name...

2nd question - Obvious i know but have you mass loaded the speaker stands and how are your speakers positioned in regards to your main listening point?[/quote]

1. No. Just a nickname based on an old user ID.

2. Yes. Full of attabites. Forming as close to an equilateral triangle as space allows and toed-in slightly.

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Probably around £100 mark. Probably single wire - in my experience bi-wiring hasn't made much difference. Currently using a Silversonic interconnect. Ever heard of it? Replaced a Nordost blue heaven which I never liked.

A

Anonymous

i have heard the blue heaven many times but not the silversonic.For that budget i would consider qed xtube xt350 or chord company odyssey 2.Both will be a significant upgrade from what you currently use.I spent a while last week demoing my xt400 against the cable you currently use.More detail, more weight and just a lot more realistic sounding.The xt350 is very similar but has only 20% silver plating as opposed to 100%.It is slightly less forward sounding.The odyssey is probably a slightly better cable that the xt350 but very little in it and its probably just down to persnal taste.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Ragworm"]in my experience bi-wiring hasn't made much difference. Currently using a Silversonic interconnect. [/quote]

Never own a pair but heard a lot of good thing about them. My set of interconnects also came from North America, I couldn't think if anything else could replace them
emotion-11.gif

As for speakers cables (and I have to be consistenace here chaps) try Gotham for anything up to £100 marks, if you want to spend more then look at the like of Cardas cross , V.D.nite 2, TaraLabs Vector 1.

A

Anonymous

I use Kimber and Kimber Select throughout my system and will never use anything else. I am thrilled with the performance of Kimber Cable.

A

Anonymous

All I know is QED XT is the best in the QED range but a tad bright which gives an artificial sound; you should look at Chord Rumor or Odyssey for honest detail and as far as I know everyone loves Chord. Check The Chord website....

A

Anonymous

I would go for some Sterling Black Mamba cables - £95 delivered for a 2.5-3m pair from GreenHome Electronics. As long as you don't mind some seriously thick and heavy cables! Have a look here - http://www.usedhifishop.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=635 - he does a refund if not happy scheme on these, too. Very very good indeed, imho ... and they look fabulous! I use them I think they are great and they replaced several hundred pounds worth of Chord Epic Twin in my system.

A

Anonymous

I would be shocked if you found anything better than the Belden 5000UP on Mark Grant's website. Don't be fooled by the price.

Don Guess

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
JANDL100:I would go for some Sterling Black Mamba cables - £95 delivered for a 2.5-3m pair from GreenHome Electronics. As long as you don't mind some seriously thick and heavy cables! Have a look here - http://www.usedhifishop.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=635 - he does a refund if not happy scheme on these, too. Very very good indeed, imho ... and they look fabulous! I use them I think they are great and they replaced several hundred pounds worth of Chord Epic Twin in my system.

I wonder how these would compare with NVA LS5?

A

Anonymous

Don Guess:JANDL100:I would go for some Sterling Black Mamba cables - £95 delivered for a 2.5-3m pair ...... I use them I think they are great and they replaced several hundred pounds worth of Chord Epic Twin in my system. I wonder how these would compare with NVA LS5?

I've owned NVA LS5 cables (and quite a few bits of NVA electronics - all good!) - really excellent cables - a solid, palpable and powerful sound. But they do cost quite a bit more and perhaps don't have quite the top end air of the Mambas.

A

Anonymous

I reckon Ragworm has bought the cable by now - the thread was started in March 2008!

Let us know Ragworm?

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Yes I have. I wonder what made people wake up and start posting on this thread again? Anyway, to bring my part of this story to and end, I went for the Atlas Hyper Bi-Wire. And very pleased with them I am too. They are a definite step-up from the Silver Anniversay XT. More sparkle to the treble and slightly better bass definition.

A

Anonymous

Classic. I have two runs of Hyper 2.0 effectively bi-wiring my MA GR20s - they love it and I am very happy with the sound. Pleased you are too........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts