Speaker Cable Question - not the usual one though..........

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I bought some 2nd hand Qudos from The Ebay........... it was longer than what I need it for right now.... but I do not want to cut it in case I end up rearranging things later and then curse the fact that I do not have enough speaker cable..... so I did this

3333139650_60f4ce4ea9.jpg

Someone came around my gaff on Sunday and had a Holy Cow about it...............................

Does putting my cables like this create magnestising blahblah (I did not really understand what he was saying, he could of been talking about voodoo) and reduce sound quality?

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Yes.

What I tend to do is run the surplus cable out past the speaker as far as it will go then fold it back once to the speaker. It makes a U shape if you see what I mean.

A

Anonymous

up the music:Yes.

What I tend to do is run the surplus cable out past the speaker as far as it will go then fold it back once to the speaker. It makes a U shape if you see what I mean.

Yeah, that is what he said...... but there is design features of my flat that means that it is not a practicible solution (room size and funny shape).... so I might re-arrange my room to how I think that it may end up and then, if that does not work, cut it down........

idc

Its a good cable you have there Bloatedgut, the sheething should stop any problems, but a compromise would be not to have them so tightly coiled and cable tied.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I found that the coiling improves the sound quite dramatically. Imaging takes on 4 dimensional spatial qualities. I usually buy my wire in 100 foot lengths for this reason.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jaxwired:I found that the coiling improves the sound quite dramatically. Imaging takes on 4 dimensional spatial qualities.

Errr, *FOUR* dimensional, that is impressive! But I can't imagine what music that's moving backwards and forwards through time would sound like!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jaxwired:Yes, but only to the untrained ear.

Ah, I see, you mean your ears have evolved to exist across multiple-parallel universes, thus side-stepping the flow of time and therefore you're able to hear the entire piece of music in the same instance? Cool...

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:I found that the coiling improves the sound quite dramatically. Imaging takes on 4 dimensional spatial qualities. I usually buy my wire in 100 foot lengths for this reason.

So, in your opinioin, I would get better results if I kept it coiled?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:IME, no. Looped loosely or stretched out and doubled back, yes. Coiled, no.

Jolly good..... will start the process of moving the room around to get the necessary space to stretch it out......

A

Anonymous

bloatedgut:
I bought some 2nd hand Qudos from The Ebay........... it was longer than what I need it for right now.... but I do not want to cut it in case I end up rearranging things later and then curse the fact that I do not have enough speaker cable..... so I did this

3333139650_60f4ce4ea9.jpg

Someone came around my gaff on Sunday and had a Holy Cow about it...............................

Does putting my cables like this create magnestising blahblah (I did not really understand what he was saying, he could of been talking about voodoo) and reduce sound quality?

Position a clove of garlic in the centre and all will become OK.

There's no technical reason for avoiding a coil, unless you are intending to load it as a VHF antenna.

A

Anonymous

even then I believe he will struggle. The initial post quite clearly states sound travelling in four spatial dimensions, before the discussion leads onto sound travelling through time. Whilst this is most definately the fourth dimension we know and love, it is a temporal dimension and therefore by no means spatial.

Unless he has 4D ears the added quality coiled cable "gives" would be completely wasted anyway. *shrugs*

Have I missed the point of all this?!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
RainMeister:
even then I believe he will struggle. The initial post quite clearly states sound travelling in four spatial dimensions, before the discussion leads onto sound travelling through time. Whilst this is most definately the fourth dimension we know and love, it is a temporal dimension and therefore by no means spatial.

Unless he has 4D ears the added quality coiled cable "gives" would be completely wasted anyway. *shrugs*

Yes, after all he's missing the other 7 spatial dimensions completely!

Have I missed the point of all this?!

Not at all dear chap, I think you've got it spot on!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

super-symmetry ftw!

Getting back "on-topic", er..... does cutting the loose end off a cable tie make much of a difference to the sound? Should the OP trim his back?

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Hello,

As has been mentioned before coiling speaker cables is best avoided. This is because it can raise inductance which can lead to undesirable effects. So coil the excess in an S (or figure 8) configuration if possible.

Hope this might also help.

All the best,
Darren

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts