Speaker Cable lengths

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm about to get a new pair of speakers which I am going to bi-amp. My current speakers only have single binding posts so bi-amping was not possible. My current cables are 5m each. Due to a mistake on my part I managed to only order two 3m lengths for the bi-amping. My solution is to run 2 3m lengths to the nearer speaker to the amps and 2 5m lengths to the far speaker. My query is "Will this make a difference?". I've always thought the cable lengths should be the same but a number of internet articles suggest different. And of course in surround sound systems this problem must appear all the time (i.e. the rear speakers are generally much further then the front). However I'm interested in comments regarding different cable lengths in a good old fashioned stereo system.

A

Anonymous

I recently received 2 x 5m QED XT silver anniversary free with a new Hi Fi and gave bi- wiring a go (for the first time). I already had my speakers connected via 2m lengths of XT. I noticed that there was slight echo-y-ness (is that a word?) and presumed this down to the differing cable lengths. I've since sold on that cable and my speakers are properly bi wired and its all good. I've never bi-amped though. The delay in rears (or any other speaker) in a surround set up can normally be adjusted by signal delay response through your amp, so it shouldn't make too much difference on the speaker cable lengths.

nads

i will say that you need more cable. i very carefully get mine as close to the same as posible. resurrond systems i am under the impresion that setting the speaker distances etc help sort out any inbalance.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I would imagine there will be no difference as long as the cables are all the same brand. If one was 20m and the other was 1m then maybe so. Having said that all my cables are the same length.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="diggerbj"]Due to a mistake on my part I managed to only order two 3m lengths for the bi-amping. My solution is to run 2 3m lengths to the nearer speaker to the amps and 2 5m lengths to the far speaker. My query is "Will this make a difference?".[/quote]

If you use quality cable it won't matter. There's a good article on bi-ampihttp://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htmng here. I was toying with the idea but don't want to mess with my speakers.
emotion-1.gif

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

A

Anonymous

That article only goes into bi-amping where one amp takes LF and the other HF which is one way, but I thought the best way to bi-amp was to have one amp serving one channel (both LF & HF) and another amp serving the other channel??????????????...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="joeparnell"]

That article only goes into bi-amping where one amp takes LF and the other HF which is one way, but I thought the best way to bi-amp was to have one amp serving one channel (both LF & HF) and another amp serving the other channel??????????????...

[/quote]

If you're using reasonable quality amps it probably makes no odds.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
In my opinion, the best way of biamping has the preamp running the HF, and the power amp the LF. This creates far more separation in the instruments, more detail, a better soundstage, more realistic, warmer....what more can I say.

I'm a big fan and will never ever have just one amp again.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]n my opinion, the best way of biamping has the preamp running the HF[/quote]

I presume you mean the integrated amplifier. Do you use an electronic crossover?

A

Anonymous

I'm using an integrated arcam alpha 10 and a FMJ P35 Power. I intend bi-amping LF and HF seperately. Thanks for your interest but we're getting away from the point which is cable length. I'm going to use 3m lengths for one speaker and 5m lengths for the other. I'm not sure I'll be able to live with the knowledge they're different lengths and therefore I may not be getting the best from my system. However I'll give it a try and post my results for all to see,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts