Speaker cable for Spendor SA1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a lovely pair of Spendor SA 1's which I've just got past the break-in stage. My previous Harbeth HL-P3's has a a little more air in the treble and a little more bass weight. On the Other hand the Spendors image slightly better and are definitely less compressed in dynamics. I would like any recommendations on a suitable partnering cable that will give the treble a little more zing whilst maintaining bass weight. I'm currently using same Ecosse reference 2.3 speaker cable.

the_dude2

Aug 25, 2007
Visit site
im using whats been called the full frequency range cable. google it as im not sure if i can post the link. basically its DIY using CAT5e cable, 3 lenghts for each channel so plenty thick enough! I had been using whatever strand basic stuff, about 5mm thick and it was rubbish in comparison. After i changed everything opened up, so much sparkle and life to the sound.

I was skeptical to begin with but i had the cable laying around and an hour to kill one day so i thought i'd give it a go and it was well worth the effort, i even went on to make some from the front 3 speakers in my AV setup and for the first time i could tell the difference between vanilla DD/DTS and HD soundtracks.

If you've got the cable or fancy a gamble with about 15 quids worth of CAT5 from Maplins then try it, for the money i cant see how you could ever do better.

A

Anonymous

I should have added that I would like to audition the cable with my amp and speakers and that my local hi fi shop is about 100 miles away. They have a choice of Naim, Chord, or Kimber so it would have to be something from these product ranges.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello there and congrats on buying the SA1 - a lovely little speaker with exceptional midrange. I'm using Chord Epic cables with my SA1s, which are driven by Naim amps. I find them to have more detail than Naim's NAC A5.

Hope this helps.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello there and congrats on buying the SA1 - a lovely little speaker with exceptional midrange. I'm using Chord Epic cables with my SA1s, which are driven by Naim amps. I find them to have more detail than Naim's NAC A5.

Hope this helps.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
My SA-1 has just arrived and I need some time to run it in, may be 40-50 hrs before I can hear its peak performance.

I replaced my MA RX-1 with this little speaker after auditioning with PMC DB1i and MA GX-100. Though the bass of SA-1 is not as low as the other two yet it produces lows with tightness. I belive it is due to its closed box design. I really love the mid-range and highs of SA-1 as I mostly listen to vocals, jazz, blues and classical music. The music from SA-1 is entirely ear friendly without any fatigue feeling after long hours of listening. The only complaint I have is the performance of this SA-1 is not as good when the volume setting is at low level (below 50 db(A) ) but when I turn it to normal hearing level ( around 65-70 db(A) at listening position) it really peforms like a charm.

Previously I was using Chord Odyssey 4 speaker cables on my RX-1 (for bi-wiring). Since SA-1 is not bi-wirable so I joined the 2 reds and 2 blacks to form a single cable feed, i.e. the cross sectional area of the + and - cable has been doubled. At this moment I am not 100% sure whether Odyssey matches perfectly with SA-1 as the speakers are still new and it needs some time to settle before I can make a conclusion. But so far the cable works nicely with SA-1 and I am happy with the SQ.

A

Anonymous

Singslinger said:

Hope this helps.

Chord Epic was on my shortlist and I was also thinking about trying some Naim amps. I currently have a Creek Audio Destiny 2 which has incredible transparency and sound staging capabilities for an integrated amp, but perhaps not the best partner for the Spendors. Its not that it sounds dull but the combination really seems to take the music apart and examine it with a microscope, best way I can describe it is intellectual. I may compare my Creek with a Naim XS to see if this will give me a little more pace, but the Creek is an incredible amp all the same.

A

Anonymous

Interested to hear your thoughts on the Creek Destiny 2 with the SA1s as that was a combination I was thinking of trying.

Your description that the combo 'seems to take the music apart and examine it with a microscope, best way I can describe it is intellectual.' is something i have experienced with my previous system and is what I want to avoid with my new one. I'm looking for something more involving and exciting.

I wondered if you still feel the same way about the SA1/ Destiny 2 combination?

Also do you think that the PMC db1i might be a better match to the Destiny 2?

A

Anonymous

kenH said:
Interested to hear your thoughts on the Creek Destiny 2 with the SA1s as that was a combination I was thinking of trying.

Your description that the combo 'seems to take the music apart and examine it with a microscope, best way I can describe it is intellectual.' is something i have experienced with my previous system and is what I want to avoid with my new one. I'm looking for something more involving and exciting.

The Destiny 2 amp is highly revealing and its presentation is a little dry, but never cold or thin. Its highly detailed and very balanced sounding, bass is full and powerful, midrange and treble nicely integrated. I've been listening a little more and have actually decided its the amp and speakers revealing the weakness of my cartridge (AT 95E) as theres no problem with my turntable (Michell Orbe/ SME V) Sound staging with this pairing is incredibly holographic with images appearing in front and behind the speakers and very well, but sometimes this presentation can be a little disconcerting if your not used to it. I'd probably consider auditioning the Spendors with Naim (say the XS) amplification which will probably be a very nice pairing and ultimately more musical that the Creek/ Spendor. I think a change of cartage though could change my opinion though as the treble and bass is rolled off in the Audio Technica, also it can get woolly when music gets a little busy. Even using a Mac book/ itunes to listen to CD's has me feeling quite differently about this combo though.

I think the PMC would be a better match as they image as well as the Spendor but they should sound a little more exciting in presentation. Just beware that the bass is transmission line in the PMC and it could be a little overpowering with the Creek amp, also I don't think you'll need a separate subwoofer for this combo.

A

Anonymous

kenH said:

The Destiny 2 amp is highly revealing and its presentation is a little dry, but never cold or thin. Its highly detailed and very balanced in its presentation, bass is full and powerful, midrange and treble nicely integrated. I've been listening a little more and have actually decided its the amp and speakers revealing the weakness of my cartridge (AT 95E) as theres no problem with my turntable (Michell Orbe/ SME V) Sound staging with this pairing is incredibly holographic with images appearing in front and behind the speakers and very well defined, but sometimes this presentation can be a little disconcerting if your not used to it. I'd probably consider auditioning the Spendors with Naim (say the XS) amplification which should be a very nice pairing and ultimately more musical that the Creek/ Spendor. I think a change of cartridge though could change my opinion though as the treble and bass is rolled off in the Audio Technica, also it can get woolly and confused when the music gets busy.

I think the PMC would be a better match as they image as well as the Spendor but they should sound a little more exciting in presentation. Just beware that the bass is transmission line in the PMC and it could be a little overpowering with the Creek amp, also I don't think you'll need a separate subwoofer for this combo.

Whoops, double post.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts