Question Speaker cable for PMC twenty5 24s

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Personally, I like what AudioQuest does. The solid core construction lacks the graininess in the higher frequencies that can be apparent in multi-strand cables, and I find the bass is more controlled - less warm, but more controlled. I’ve found similar qualities in other solid core cables in the past too. I also like Naim’s NAC-A5, but its no longer around the £5/m it was back when I liked it...

D

Deleted member 108165

I can see what you mean David as I've just had a look at their website... but they sure do talk a load of b*llocks in their blurb about the features of the cable:

SOLID LONG-GRAIN COPPER (LGC) CONDUCTORS
Solid Long-Grain Copper (LGC) allows a smoother and clearer sound than cables using regular OFHC (Oxygen-Free High-Conductivity) copper. Solid conductors prevent strand interaction, a major source of distortion. The surface quality is critical because a conductor can be considered as a rail-guide for both the electric fields within a conductor, and for the magnetic fields outside the conductor. LGC has fewer oxides within the conducting material, less impurities, less grain boundaries, and definitively better performance.

CARBON-BASED NOISE- AND CROSSTALK-DISSIPATION SYSTEM
This cable's negative conductors are covered with partially conductive Carbon-Loaded Polyethylene. This remarkable material reduces radio-frequency garbage being fed back into the amplifier. The sonic benefit is exactly the same reduction in "hash" and improved dimensionality that comes whenever RF interference is reduced in an audio circuit. In addition, a carbon layer damps interaction between positive and negative conductors, and an external Carbon-Based Noise-Dissipation System reduces external interference.

FOAMED-POLYETHYLENE INSULATION (FOR ALL POSITIVE CONDUCTORS)
Any solid material adjacent to a conductor is actually part of an imperfect circuit. Wire insulation and circuit board materials all absorb energy. Some of this energy is stored and then released as distortion. Tower, however, uses air-filled Foamed-Polyethylene Insulation on both conductors. Because air absorbs next to no energy and Polyethylene is low-loss and has a benign distortion profile, Foamed-PE, with its high air content, causes much less of the out-of-focus effect common to other materials.

:LOL:

Thanks Davidf, I will look into AudioQuest and Naim NAC-A5.
I used to use NAC-A5 back in the 90s with even budget systems, but that was when it was less than a fiver a metre - I see it’s now £30/m!! Used would be your best bet, and seeing as the cable has been around for over 30 years, you should see a wide range of used prices.
The original cable was more like Linn cable at the time, but from early 90s it started using the far less flexible sheathing that’s about as bendy as bamboo. But sounded great though.

I can see what you mean David as I've just had a look at their website... but they sure do talk a load of b*llocks in their blurb about the features of the cable:
I don’t really get hung up on the technicalities of cables - I just listen to them. Manufacturers can do what they like to them and make them out of whatever they want, im not really too interested. Talking to Bill Lowe is an experience. He’s the sort of guy you could just chat to all day long. Interesting, lots of stories, and knows what he’s talking about. They do get quite technical, but Bill’s a technical guy.

TheJoker

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Seeing as PMC advice in there own manuals is that expensive cables are a waste i'd follow there advise. I use linn k20 through out all the systems ive had and to be honest ive found nothing that can better there "sound" when i have been a bit a curious too see if anything can make a difference.

Look at what these companies use at shows, are they using a bell wire to connect to the speaker? if they are using anything over £3pm then something just ain't right, i mean by there own admission if expensive cables don't make any difference why on earth would they spend hundreds/thousands of pounds to demonstrate their speakers on anything but a cheap decent gauge cable? just a thought!

With the bristol show looming it a good time to take a sneaky peek at what different companies use.

gasolin

Im back with my Qed XT40 and this cable also sounds good, slightly difference than Blue jeans cable but still very good.

Avoid silver cable since they often make the tweeter sound like a metal dome tweerer in a negative way, there is exceptions where silver cable are perfect for a system.

TrevC

Hi,
I use tellurium black mk1 which seem to work well. Open detailed sound ...
Quite agree it might be nice to know if he has a budget for these cables ....but he seems simply wanting to know people's thoughts on them, the way most cable threads go. I notice he hasn't bothered to come back with any feedback

It's good to know that it doesn't matter what the cost is, the cable just needs to be thick and low resistance for best results. Tellurium or Ebay 6mm, the result will be the same.

Last edited:

gasolin

Thickness makes a difference in signal loss and damping factor, if it's noticeable i don't know, i havn't listen for it, but if i have to choose from 2 cables and theres a difference in gauge i wil choose the one with lowest gauge (the thickest cable)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts