Question Speaker cable for PMC twenty5 24s

gasolin

BJC Ten White (5T00UP) (White jacket, 10 AWG) or Belden 5T00UP (Gray jacket, 10 AWG) difference is the colour

It's not expensive but very neutral without have to much or to little highs, bass.

10AWG is the total thickness, so any plugs wil handle the thickness.

Last edited:

gasolin

My experience with strand 79 from a company like qed, is that it can sound to intrusive in the highs, 6 meter Belden 5T00UP (Gray jacket, 10 AWG) cost 20 pound and mabye £40- 45 with shipping and import taxes, thats peanuts compared to what PMC twenty5 24 speakers, paired with a Moon 240i costs.

If you can afford such speakers and amp you can easily afford to spend £500 on speaker cable, Belden 5T00UP (Gray jacket, 10 AWG) is all you need, you don't need to spend more.

To me the cable sounds neutral without to much or little of everything

Reactions: Al ears

abacus

2.5mm sq OFC cable is all that you need, (Forget fancy cables and what they are supposed to do as its complete nonsense (Just ask the manufacture to provide independent verifiable evidence for their fancy cable and all you will get is silence or gobbledegook) just choose what colour and looks you want.

Bill

D

Deleted member 108165

Two camps regarding speaker cables: those who say that cables make a difference and those who don't. I'm with Musicraft and Abacus - a non-believer of the requirement for special exotic cables. Think you may find that even PMC state that as long as it is of sufficient gauge then any cable will do.

Reactions: chebby

gasolin

Two camps regarding speaker cables: those who say that cables make a difference and those who don't. I'm with Musicraft and Abacus - a non-believer of the requirement for special exotic cables. Think you may find that even PMC state that as long as it is of sufficient gauge then any cable will do.

What speaker cable should I use?
PMC recommend using a high quality thick multi-strand Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) cable between the amplifier and speakers. The use of ‘exotic” cables has limited improvement on sound quality, so we would not advocate spending great quantities of money. However, if you are prepared to spend a great deal of money in this area, we would strongly advice you listen first to determine whether the outlay is worth the improvement.

£5 pr meter should be fine for most people, if you have a very good system up to £10-12 pr meter should be more than enough

Qed XT25 for most people, XT40 for those with bigger demands would also be a great choice

Last edited:
Don't normally get involved in cable threads whether or not you get expensive wire the quality of termination is crucial.
I happen to like the way The Chord Company do theirs, built to last, but it's a personal thing as to whether or not it's worth spending a whole lot of money on more exotic stuff.

gasolin

I got my XT40 for less than £5 pr meter, some day i got try it again but it didn't connect that well with my plugs some ends lost connections and made som kind of noise because of that, think it was the cambrigde banana plugs

317742.jpg

Gray

I got my XT40 for less than £5 pr meter, some day i got try it again but it didn't connect that well with my plugs some ends lost connections and made som kind of noise because of that, think it was the cambrigde banana plugs

317742.jpg
I've tried several different types of banana plugs and can highly recommend these.
Don't let the naff little logo put you off, these are high quality, excellent value plugs.
The two offset grub screws leave you feeling confident about the termination:
You want right angled? You've got right angled:

Last edited:

gasolin

I've tried several different types of banana plugs and can highly recommend these.
Don't let the naff little logo put you off, these are high quality, excellent value plugs.
The two offset grub screws leave you feeling confident about the termination:
You want right angled? You've got right angled:

Not shure, XT40 is 2x 10 awg and that is the limited for most banapluges and when you have to tighten it the screw it can't be tighten enough so the cap can be screwed on.

D

Deleted member 108165

I'd like something different but the tests I've done between cables my lug holes can't tell any difference whatsoever :) Kinda makes me sceptical about spending £500 on cables...

If OP wants a fancy cable it would be worth knowing if it's 10m at £50 pm or 1m at £500 pm that he's looking for suggestions for
Quite agree it might be nice to know if he has a budget for these cables ....but he seems simply wanting to know people's thoughts on them, the way most cable threads go. I notice he hasn't bothered to come back with any feedback

D

Deleted member 116933

Hi everyone

Keen to hear you're recommendations on speaker cable? I have just bought some PMC twenty5 24 speakers, paired with a Moon 240i.

Let me know your thoughts?

Paul

Seeing as PMC advice in there own manuals is that expensive cables are a waste i'd follow there advise. I use linn k20 through out all the systems ive had and to be honest ive found nothing that can better there "sound" when i have been a bit a curious too see if anything can make a difference.

Gray

Seeing as PMC advice in there own manuals is that expensive cables are a waste i'd follow there advise. I use linn k20 through out all the systems ive had and to be honest ive found nothing that can better there "sound" when i have been a bit a curious too see if anything can make a difference.
You've found nothing that can better Linn k20, but was anything you tried actually worse? If not, maybe you paid more than you needed to with the k20.
(I don't know its price, but I can't imagine it being as cheap as basic stuff).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts