Speaker cable advice!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
DIB said:
Before I settled on my current system of nearly 4 years now, I had a Creek Evo 2 amp driving a pair of Focal 906v's. Excellent combination and I used Van Damme Studio Blue 2.5mm to great effect. I still have Van Damme now and cannot see or hear any reason to change.

Interesting parallel - just so happens to be what I'm looking at on eBay right now. All these replies have been strangely liberating. I'm still open minded either way but at least I can confidently spend £50 now instead of £200.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Matty Cairns said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Matty Cairns said:
Out of interest, would any potential money saved be better spent on some other peripheral system improvement? Acoustic tiles, upgraded power cords, etc?

Think about it logically. Why would changing a power cord change the sound? And if it did, why would manufacturers of decent quality hi-fi equipment supply a power cord that doesn't show off their product at it's best?

That is a blindingly good point and it has occured to me. Unless I get the chance to play with tons of different kit to dispell the myths and conduct blind tests it really would just be money wasted. Placebo effect at best until you can quantify it.

Again, it's cool to see all of you forum-dwelling audiophiles aren't just blindly subscribing to the satus quo *drinks*

There are a few people on here that will try to convince you that power cords, and even fuses will make a difference (Ellisdj), but I think you've already realised that this is highly, highly unlikely, and any difference will not be audible to anyone but dogs.............and Ellisdj. I'm not sure which breed he is, but it's definitely a rare one. *biggrin*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Matty Cairns said:
.....but at least I can confidently spend £50 now instead of £200. 
You have only heard one side of the debate, since most people who think cables make a difference keep their opinion to themselves, as they are tired of the same old polemic arguments.

Personally, I don't mind what you do, but would suggest that you try everything out for yourself and don't take as gospel what you read (from either side) on here.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the cheap cable camp BUT I'd encourage you to go do some testing and make your own mind up rather than side with one faction on a forum. If you can't hear the difference, buy the 4 or 6 mm.sq OFC cable.

Actually, the reason I asked what the source of your music was, was my advice was going to be to spend about £30 on cables and the rest on CDs but I was in danger of trying to sell you my truth, which I try to avoid (although I let my guard down at times).

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I think the trouble is it would help if Hifi shops in the uk let customers take home and try different cables out to find out for them selfs without wasting money in the first place I am not saying that all Hifi shops do not let the customer try before buying but richer sounds will not let you unless they have been already made up from the company that makes them with plugs on already and then you have to pay for them . So maybe it would help if these cable companies supplied demo cables for all Hifi shops for customers to take home and try .

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Matty Cairns said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Matty Cairns said:
Out of interest, would any potential money saved be better spent on some other peripheral system improvement? Acoustic tiles, upgraded power cords, etc?

Think about it logically. Why would changing a power cord change the sound? And if it did, why would manufacturers of decent quality hi-fi equipment supply a power cord that doesn't show off their product at it's best?

That is a blindingly good point and it has occured to me. Unless I get the chance to play with tons of different kit to dispell the myths and conduct blind tests it really would just be money wasted. Placebo effect at best until you can quantify it.

Again, it's cool to see all of you forum-dwelling audiophiles aren't just blindly subscribing to the satus quo *drinks*

There are a few people on here that will try to convince you that power cords, and even fuses will make a difference (Ellisdj), but I think you've already realised that this is highly, highly unlikely, and any difference will not be audible to anyone but dogs.............and Ellisdj. I'm not sure which breed he is, but it's definitely a rare one. *biggrin*

As I've said, I'm not really adverse to any new ideas but I understand it's fairly risky (probably pointless) spending actual money until I can experience said improvements. Even then, you'd be looking at minute returns in investment.

Warning heeded - I'lll be sure to watch out for him.

Hi Matty Cairns

I'll recommend standard 79 strand or if you want to push the boat out standard 500 strand speaker cables as i feel these will be more than good enough for your components. You should also be able to pick these cables up from local electrical stores for not too much money.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
And if it did, why would manufacturers of decent quality hi-fi equipment supply a power cord that doesn't show off their product at it's best?
The answer to this is very simple:

1. If you are a cable sceptic, you will resent paying extra for something that doesn't make a difference.
2. If you are a believer, you are likely to have a favourite brand and budget in mind, so you won't want a fancy one supplied.

The sensible thing is to supply a cheap kettle lead and let each side go their own way.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Matty Cairns said:
I think this is quickly becoming the take-home lesson of the thread for me.....

Appreciated, man.

Really? :)

At the end of this your head will buzz, your brain is mash and you'll be none the wiser (the typical cable thread outcome).

Unfortunately trying cables is not easy unless you have a very understanding dealer nearby with a vast selection of wires.

So, the most likely outcome is ... you'll go cheap (Vandamned or likewise) and are happy until ... you try some better cables as many have done.

Forget about the 'Pro Audio' claims unless you plan to tour with your hifi or move it around your place three times a day, every day. It does not guarantee optimum matching with your particular system.

As to power chords, I use Audiofriendly's Silver Power cable. Not because I think it makes a huge difference (it doesn't) but it looks cool and is cheap.

Add a Tacima or other surge protected distributor to keep your priced toy safe.

All imho, which we all know, is the only one that counts ;-)

TrevC

CnoEvil said:
Matty Cairns said:
.....but at least I can confidently spend £50 now instead of £200.
You have only heard one side of the debate, since most people who think cables make a difference keep their opinion to themselves, as they are tired of the same old polemic arguments.

Personally, I don't mind what you do, but would suggest that you try everything out for yourself and don't take as gospel what you read (from either side) on here.

Waste a bit of money just to make sure eh?

TrevC

drummerman said:
Matty Cairns said:

Appreciated, man.

At the end of this your head will buzz, your brain is mash and you'll be none the wiser (the typical cable thread outcome).

Unfortunately trying cables is not easy unless you have a very understanding dealer nearby with a vast selection of wires.

So, the most likely outcome is ... you'll go cheap (Vandamned or likewise) and are happy until ... you try some better cables as many have done.

Forget about the 'Pro Audio' claims unless you plan to tour with your hifi or move it around your place three times a day, every day. It does not guarantee optimum matching with your particular system.

As to power chords, I use Audiofriendly's Silver Power cable. Not because I think it makes a huge difference (it doesn't) but it looks cool and is cheap.

You are the one causing confusion with your fanciful nonsense.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

[/quote]

Thats not so, why do we have such fierce cable wars ever few weeks if its only one side? The last one went on for about 300 posts.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Matty Cairns said:
DIB said:
Before I settled on my current system of nearly 4 years now, I had a Creek Evo 2 amp driving a pair of Focal 906v's. Excellent combination and I used Van Damme Studio Blue 2.5mm to great effect. I still have Van Damme now and cannot see or hear any reason to change.

Interesting parallel - just so happens to be what I'm looking at on eBay right now. All these replies have been strangely liberating. I'm still open minded either way but at least I can confidently spend £50 now instead of £200.

I would look at the Van Damme OFC. The blue is not so flexible as it has a tough blue casing which you probably don't need in your home. Also some say the OFC sounds better than the blue, its a bit more expensive but its probably more suitable to a living room. Here is one review of Blue v OFC: http://hifipig.com/van-damme-blue-and-hi-fi-grade-6-0mm-speaker-cables/

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Matty Cairns said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Matty Cairns said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Matty Cairns said:

As I've said, I'm not really adverse to any new ideas but I understand it's fairly risky (probably pointless) spending actual money until I can experience said improvements. Even then, you'd be looking at minute returns in investment.

No, he's a nice guy, but he's a total believer in everything can make a difference, and if you start down the road he's on, you'll drive yourself mad.

You've got decent speakers, a decent amp, and when you get some decent speaker cable, you'll have a great system, so enjoy it. They'll be times when you think 'what if I change this or that', but always try to evaluate logically, and wherever possible, try before you buy.

Speakers and amps make the most difference to the sound you hear, so if you're happy with both of those, enjoy the music.

And by the way, you'll soon be approaching the point when you wish you'd never asked. *biggrin*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
drummerman said:
Matty Cairns said:

Appreciated, man.

You are the one causing confusion with your fanciful nonsense.

Nice to have you back.

Earlier I thought for a moment that Bill stood in for you as relief :)

drummerman said:
Matty Cairns said:

Appreciated, man.

Ahhhh who even knows anymore *lol*

- Ref speaker cable: Maybe I would have been best off in blissful ignorance! I could have happily dropped £200 and been deleriously happy with them whether they were better than my current cables or not; safe in the knowledge that they weren't holding my beautiful system back. Hell, Kimber Kables would have even looked cool draped across the floor!

- Ref power cords etc: Pretty cool suggestions. If I only spend a small amount that makes me less of a raving lunatic - I'm not harming anybody, right?

Either way, you seem like a pretty level head and maybe I have been exposed to one side of the argument a little more than the other.

TrevC

drummerman said:
Matty Cairns said:

Appreciated, man.

You are the one causing confusion with your fanciful nonsense. Matching indeed.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Matty Cairns said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Matty Cairns said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Matty Cairns said:

No, he's a nice guy, but he's a total believer in everything can make a difference, and if you start down the road he's on, you'll drive yourself mad.

You've got decent speakers, a decent amp, and when you get some decent speaker cable, you'll have a great system, so enjoy it. They'll be times when you think 'what if I change this or that', but always try to evaluate logically, and wherever possible, try before you buy.

Speakers and amps make the most difference to the sound you hear, so if you're happy with both of those, enjoy the music.

And by the way, you'll soon be approaching the point when you wish you'd never asked. *biggrin*

I feel like I've opned Pandora's box. I was just thinking, wouldn't it be cool if audiophiles could just live and let live?

Thanks for the wise words, anyway.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Matty Cairns said:
- Ref power cords etc: Pretty cool suggestions. If I only spend a small amount that makes me less of a raving lunatic - I'm not harming anybody, right?

Either way, you seem like a pretty level head and maybe I have been exposed to one side of the argument  a little more than the other. 
If you are curious about Power Cords, give Darren of Clearer Audio a ring, as they do a 60 day trial. http://www.cleareraudio.com/

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Matty Cairns said:

Either way, you seem like a pretty level head and maybe I have been exposed to one side of the argument  a little more than the other. 
If you are curious about Power Cords, give Darren of Clearer Audio a ring, as they do a 60 day trial. http://www.cleareraudio.com/

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
Matty Cairns said:
DIB said:

I would look at the Van Damme OFC. The blue is not so flexible as it has a tough blue casing which you probably don't need in your home. Also some say the OFC sounds better than the blue, its a bit more expensive but its probably more suitable to a living room. Here is one review of Blue v OFC: http://hifipig.com/van-damme-blue-and-hi-fi-grade-6-0mm-speaker-cables/

I have the 4mm UP-LCOFC variety now, bought from and professionally terminated by A1 Sound. I originally used the Studio Blue because it matched the colour of my carpet. A change round and redecoration last year meant that shorter cables were preferable and the UP-LCOFC matched my new carpet better!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Matty Cairns said:
I feel like I've opned Pandora's box. I was just thinking, wouldn't it be cool if audiophiles could just live and let live?

You'll have grandchildren before some of this lot stop arguing. *biggrin*

For your own sanity, walk away from this thread now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts