Speaker Cable advice please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
millennia_one said:
Tbh before spending money I would first move the speakers around. If they’re lean and thin move them back a little and give them just enough toe in to make the centre image stable. Speaker cable really won’t make much difference other than small tuning differences. It could be just a trait of those particular speakers. Maybe look into a small musical subwoofer, a Rel q150 can be had for roughly the same as 2 runs of your max budget. And would help warm up the sound and certainly get rid of any thinness.

+1 for your comment about speaker position.

Not sure a sub will help to get a ‘beefier’ sound. Subs are <100 Hz territory, while for reducing thinness, you’re more looking at 200-500 Hz (or even higher). A digital equalizer could help. Many on here get a bad taste in their mouth thinking of DEQ though...

speaker positioning is the best free upgrade you will ever have. get it right, and you are onto a winner, get it wrong, and you'll be left scratching your head why all your expensive boxes sound bad!

take your time, make small adjustments. try and create the best soundstage in your listening position. best to be right in front of the speakers, in a kind of equilateral triangle.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Changing the speakers will make a lot more difference than changing cables. Some people think MA are like that, read several posts about it. I would go to a decent dealer and try out some other speakers rather than cables.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
Changing the speakers will make a lot more difference than changing cables.

That's because you are also changing all the wire inside the speakers. Cables make all the difference.

Or so I've heard. *dirol*

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
BigH said:
Changing the speakers will make a lot more difference than changing cables. Some people think MA are like that, read several posts about it. I would go to a decent dealer and try out some other speakers rather than cables.

+1

I tried to imply that in post #11

Thanks - what speakers would you recommend ? I am currently hunting on ebay !

Hawkwind16 said:
Al ears said:
BigH said:

+1

Tricky. I would suggest trying to get out and audition some.

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
Hawkwind16 said:
Al ears said:
BigH said:

+1

My long term objective is to get some decent floorstanders which i think would give the natural meaty midrange that i like, but i haven't got room for that now, hence trying to tweak the cables in the short term.

However, my upgrade itis has lead me to look at new bookshelf speakers for my system 2. I demo'd some - starting off with Q Concept 20's and working upwards. Inevitably i liked the larger more expensive one's and my favourites were Focal Aria 906's, KEF Q150's and KEF Q350's. But i couldn't quite commit to buying new at the time. My ebay search has now lead me to procuring good deals i think on two different quality bookshelf speakers and i hope some good quality QED speaker cables !

A bit mad *help* but i can experiment and mix and match and the losers will go back on ebay !

This is in addition to my planned upcoming DAC audition ! *crazy*

I will report back/update if anyone's interested.....

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
So after all the different advice I have now got a good deal on ebay on the following -

QED XT400 cable

Monitor Audio Gold GX50 speakers (I listened to some Golds a while back and liked them but couldn't afford them)

Focal Aria 905 (front ported - hopefully a step up for system 2 in my study)

Great ! Can't wait to try it all out and see what goes with what..*help**crazy*

​Thanks for all the input

​(Searching for hi fi gold in mad range products)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hawkwind16 said:
Al ears said:
Hawkwind16 said:
Al ears said:
BigH said:

+1

My long term objective is to get some decent floorstanders which i think would give the natural meaty midrange that i like, but i haven't got room for that now, hence trying to tweak the cables in the short term.

However, my upgrade itis has lead me to look at new bookshelf speakers for my system 2. I demo'd some - starting off with Q Concept 20's and working upwards. Inevitably i liked the larger more expensive one's and my favourites were Focal Aria 906's, KEF Q150's and KEF Q350's. But i couldn't quite commit to buying new at the time. My ebay search has now lead me to procuring good deals i think on two different quality bookshelf speakers and i hope some good quality QED speaker cables !

A bit mad *help* but i can experiment and mix and match and the losers will go back on ebay !

This is in addition to my planned upcoming DAC audition ! *crazy*

I believe Musicraft have a pair of Focal 906 at a good price on their Special Offers page.

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
drummerman said:
Hawkwind16 said:
Al ears said:
Hawkwind16 said:
Al ears said:
BigH said:

+1

A bit mad *help* but i can experiment and mix and match and the losers will go back on ebay !

This is in addition to my planned upcoming DAC audition ! *crazy*

I believe Musicraft have a pair of Focal 906 at a good price on their Special Offers page.

Hi Drummerman

As above i've now bought some new kit to have a play with - including Focal Aria 905, Monitor Gold GX 50, QED XT400 to try in my two systems. Should keep me quiet for a while !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts