Speaker buzzing problem?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I've just taken delivery of a set of Q Acoustics 2050 floor standers. Aftyer hooking them up to my amp i've noticed a slight, fairly quiet, buzzing sound coming from one speaker when the amp is idle (but still powered up), the other speaker makes no such noise. Also the speaker that buzzes slightly doesnt sound quite so clear and 'alive' as the other. Any suggestions as to what could be causing this? The speaker that makes this slight sound (although it really can only be heard when you are very close to it) is closer to the amp, although moving it further away seems to make no difference. Is it most likely a problem with the speaker cable???

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Paul

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, it's most likely a problem in your source components, amplifier or signal interconnects. Could be a cable with dodgy shielding, could just be a cable running lose to a mains cable, could be a ground loop between two components.

Likelihood is that the hum was always there, but the new speakers are making it more obvious.

Only way to discover is to turn everything off, then turn the amp on and listen for the hum. If if doesn't appear then, turn on components one by one until the hum appears. Then try swapping around interconnect cables, for example left to right, and see whether the problem shifts from one channel to the other.

Once you've isolated the problem, the solution could be a matter of relocating components - these hums can occur when two components are close together, for example, but may vanish when you switch their relative positions, changing cables and so on.

Hunting down these hums is a matter of trial and error, so be methodical, and you'll eventually eliminate it.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi Paul,

Swap the speaker cables over at the speaker end leave the amp end alone. If the the buzzing swaps then the fault is not in the speakers.Go back to the original set up and swap the cables at both the amp and the speaker ends if the buzzing swaps then it is probably the cable, if the buzzing does not swap then it may be the amp. IMHO if you did not have any buzzing with your previous speakers and the buzzing started when you installed the 2050's then I would take the 2050's back to the dealer.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Trust me, the buzzing isn't in the speakers, and it's highly unlikely for the speaker cable to be picking up interference so strong that it can be heard through the speakers.

A

Anonymous

I think you might be right re: it being the speaker cable. its not the components as the buzzing happens when the cd player is off but the amp is on, thats all i have connected to the amp at the moment. the cable is also close to a power socket and power cables (i also have one of those lindy conditioners), so it could be that, but its going to be hard to keep the speaker cable away from them as the power socket is in the coner when the speaker resides.

i will swap round the cables to see if the problem persists and report back, then i guess its just a matter of replacing the lenght of speaker wire that i am using if the buzzing persists from the other channel?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
In which case you have very serious interference going on, and it's unlikely a simple change of speaker cable will cure it.

But I'd still be very surprised if this hum is being picked up on the speaker cables.

Assuming the CD player is off, are the interconnects from it also disconnected at the amp end? If not, the interference could still be picked up on the interconnects.

Is the buzz there regardless of which input is chosen on the amp? If so, you either have an amp fault, or need to move the amp relative to the mains conditioner/other equipment. If not, then you can isolate the fault to one source or its interconnects.

A

Anonymous

Agree with Andrew, might be an amp or interconnect problem. I had the same thing, buzz coming from right channel, sent amp away and came back fine, while it was away i cleaned all connections on cd and pre-amp, also unscrewed the heads on the interconnects and noticed a few stray wires on the soldered pin end that were touching the metal body of the interconnect head, removed them and so far the problem has not happened again, but every time i listen to music now, i keep waiting for the hiss to happen, very annoying, stops me from just enjoying the music.

A

Anonymous

when im home next i will disconnect the cd player and check, although i dont recall any interferance when i had the cd players connected to my AV amp before i moved houses.

A

Anonymous

also, what do you mean by: "move the amp relative to the mains conditioner/other equipment"

i should move the amp away from the power socket and cables?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts