Speaker buzzing (PC to analog amp set-up)

robinleaf

May 14, 2016
Visit site
Hey, I've got a couple of old Wharfedale 708s (2-way) linked up to a Pioneer A-300X, which is connected to a soundcard in my PC via the headphone jack.

When my PC is under load I get a great deal of interference in ONE of the speakers. Because my soundcard is positioned right next to my graphics card (can't be helped), I suppose it's to be expected. However, the other speaker is completely silent, so it's got me worried about the condition of the speaker. The problem persists if the channels or speaker wire are switched, so it's definitely a speaker issue.

The speaker in question doesn't seem to be outputting near as powerful bass as the other aswell. I've just replaced the tweeter and that seems to be working well.

Anybody got suggestions as to what could be the problem? The sub looks in good condition and obviously the tweeter is brand new, so really can't see why I have these interference issues and weak bass.

Thanks in advance.

TrevC

robinleaf said:
Hey, I've got a couple of old Wharfedale 708s (2-way) linked up to a Pioneer A-300X, which is connected to a soundcard in my PC via the headphone jack.

When my PC is under load I get a great deal of interference in ONE of the speakers. Because my soundcard is positioned right next to my graphics card (can't be helped), I suppose it's to be expected. However, the other speaker is completely silent, so it's got me worried about the condition of the speaker. The problem persists if the channels or speaker wire are switched, so it's definitely a speaker issue.

The speaker in question doesn't seem to be outputting near as powerful bass as the other aswell. I've just replaced the tweeter and that seems to be working well.

Anybody got suggestions as to what could be the problem? The sub looks in good condition and obviously the tweeter is brand new, so really can't see why I have these interference issues and weak bass.

Thanks in advance.

The speaker won't be the cause of the buzzing, you need to fit a ferrite ring on the audio out lead from the computer, or buy a lead that has a ferrite fitted. They have a lump on the wire, you may already have one.

Something like one of these. http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/clip-on-ferrite

The 99p one should work.

robinleaf

May 14, 2016
Visit site
Cheers for the reply, I'll look into the clips, although I think my AUX/RCA cables may already have this.

However not sure if you're correct; as I said, changing the channel on the amplifier doesn't change which speaker buzzes. Since the signal into both speakers is the same in this case, it must be the speaker, mustn't it?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts