Speaker Break In ... 607's

Witterings

I've always heard about speaker break / run in, I bought a pair of B & W 607 S2's about 2 months ago and felt they deperately needed a sub but I'm now seriously thinking I could loose the sub altogether.

The difference in sound form new to now is chalk and cheese, the bass is right there but so tight as well.

Interested to hear about others experience with speaker break in is and the difference it makes, some may say I've just got used to them but that's definitely not the case as they're constantly been benchmarked against 2 other existing systems.

Anybody has these speakers ... also interested to hear what you think of them.
The reviews range so much between the lovers and the haters, I do think they're a smidge bright but that seems very song dependant and the detail for such a small speaker is incredible ... especially now they're run in but love to hear what others think of them?

I've always heard about speaker break / run in, I bought a pair of B & W 607 S2's about 2 months ago and felt they deperately needed a sub but I'm now seriously thinking I could loose the sub altogether.

The difference in sound form new to now is chalk and cheese, the bass is right there but so tight as well.

Interested to hear about others experience with speaker break in is and the difference it makes, some may say I've just got used to them but that's definitely not the case as they're constantly been benchmarked against 2 other existing systems.

Anybody has these speakers ... also interested to hear what you think of them.
The reviews range so much between the lovers and the haters, I do think they're a smidge bright but that seems very song dependant and the detail for such a small speaker is incredible ... especially now they're run in but love to hear what others think of them?
All new speakers, unlike other components, will need a period of run in/burn in.

The last new speakers I purchased took about 2 weeks to really sing.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of B&W. The only time I've enjoyed that brand was with Rotel amplification. However, that's my preference.

My experience is it varies between brands of speaker. Generally, I’d say now that mass produced speakers like B&W 600 series are likely to benefit from break in. Hand made brands like ATC, where every driver is tested at full tilt before and after assembly, as less likely to.

All speakers like warm rooms, so never judge speakers fresh from the dealer’s warehouse or stock room, or those you’ve brought home in the boot of your car on a cold day!

Last edited:

Gray

Bought plenty of speakers over the decades, always brand new.
I've never noticed break in. There has been much sound difference that my brain has adapted to. I've got no doubt that could be described as 'break in'.
Just don't get me started on cable burn in 🤬

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Bought plenty of speakers over the decades, always brand new.
I've never noticed break in. There has been much sound difference that my brain has adapted to. I've got no doubt that could be described as 'break in'.
Just don't get me started on cable burn in 🤬
I have never noticed it either. Televisions have loudspeakers along with smart speakers but break-in advice is never mentioned for these components.

I have never noticed it either. Televisions have loudspeakers along with smart speakers but break-in advice is never mentioned for these components.
The speakers in TVs are not quite the same as an expensive hifi product and, unless previous used as a demo pair of fun in by the manufacturer, it is one item I would agree needs a running in period... And I have only ever owned three pairs of brand new speakers.....

Gray

Ever heard anyone say their speakers sounded worse post break in?
Me neither.
Loosening up from new always improves things does it?
As I've asked before....the loosing up ends just when the sound is perfect does it?
The loosening up never continues to a point that makes things worse?
There are no speakers that sound better when things are tighter?

I've never said there's no such thing as speaker break in - all physical / mechanical objects will change to some extent after use.

But our brains have great powers of adaption - we will perceive a sound change as we (necessarily) adapt to what is often a very new sound signature.
I just think that change is at least as great as any audible change from break in.

Witterings

But our brains have great powers of adaption - we will perceive a sound change as we (necessarily) adapt to what is often a very new sound signature.
I just think that change is at least as great as any audible change from break in.

If it wasn't for the fact that I felt the seakers so needed a sub when they were new but now really feels like they don't ... otherwise I'd agree with you but honestly I think there's a lot of difference.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Gray

If it wasn't for the fact that I felt the seakers so needed a sub when they were new but now really feels like they don't ... otherwise I'd agree with you but honestly I think there's a lot of difference.
Fair enough - you're in the majority here when it comes to reports of noticeable change.
That's some difference you've heard though. Almost like two different speakers.
Presumably you demoed a broken in pair so you would have been judging the extra bass version.

That tells me that if a dealer got those 607s straight out of the box for demo to someone that preferred a lean bass......customer gets them home....they break in, giving him much more bass than he likes....then, for the first time, we'd have someone reporting a negative change after break in :unsure: Why does nobody ever report a negative effect from break in?
No doubt that's the reason a dealer will (should) never demo anything that hasn't been broken in ;)

PMC recommended a run in period for my speakers.......no change. Something wrong with me ✔

Fair enough - you're in the majority here when it comes to reports of noticeable change.
Presumably you demoed a broken in pair so you would have been judging the extra bass version.

That tells me that if a dealer got those 607s straight out of the box for demo to someone that preferred a lean bass......customer gets them home....they break in, giving him much more bass than he likes....then, for the first time, we'd have someone reporting a negative change after break in :unsure: Why does nobody ever report a negative effect from break in?
No doubt that's the reason a dealer will (should) never demo anything that hasn't been broken in ;)

PMC recommended a run in period for my speakers.......no change. Something wrong with me ✔
The last new speakers were my RS6s. After 2 weeks of -- almost -- constant playing the HFs became more composed and the bass was tauter. That was in the Arcam days.

Witterings

You seem like someone who'd start a fight in an empty room .... no else's opion is valid or matters we're all just liars who make it up along the way.

And just for your information, I was expecting to pick up a used / demo pair to take for home trial and was surprised when arriving at the shop they gave me a brand new pair in a sealed box ..... but I doubt you'd belive that either.

WayneKerr

I experienced something similar when I purchased my new kit a couple of years ago, Marantz + Harbeth. Initially I was troubled by the very lean presentation from the new pairing compared to the previous system. I looked for answers in various forums; many suggested adding a sub was the way to go, but a sub was not an avenue I wanted to pursue. Fast forward several months and I couldn't be happier.

I have some tracks where I know how strong the bass should be and these were definitely not yielding expected bass with the new speakers, these same tracks now sound far better than they ever did.

Not sure if this was ear/brain burn-in or the speakers actually needed a long run-in time. It could also be that I listen at slightly higher volumes now due to the extra level of resolution from the new system that just makes you want more :)

Reactions: Tinman1952 and Gray
I experienced something similar when I purchased my new kit a couple of years ago, Marantz + Harbeth. Initially I was troubled by the very lean presentation from the new pairing compared to the previous system. I looked for answers in various forums; many suggested adding a sub was the way to go, but a sub was not an avenue I wanted to pursue. Fast forward several months and I couldn't be happier.

I have some tracks where I know how strong the bass should be and these were definitely not yielding expected bass with the new speakers, these same tracks now sound far better than they ever did.

Not sure if this was ear/brain burn-in or the speakers actually needed a long run-in time. It could also be that I listen at slightly higher volumes now due to the extra level of resolution from the new system that just makes you want more :)
Think your speakers could be somewhat different as the Harbeths are infinite baffles. Unlike ported or vented the Harbs tend to need more power to make the cones move

Gray

You seem like someone who'd start a fight in an empty room ....
Just goes to show how misleading forums can be - you couldn't be more wrong with that assumption.
If you looked at every one of my of my postings, you'd see that one thing I never do is get personal, so as not to cause arguement (even in debates about Brexit).
Very few people ever get personal on here - and that's what I (and the majority) like about the place.
You may not like what I say but there's no need to get personal. It's not a good look.

TrevC

All new speakers, unlike other components, will need a period of run in/burn in.

The last new speakers I purchased took about 2 weeks to really sing.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of B&W. The only time I've enjoyed that brand was with Rotel amplification. However, that's my preference.

Not that the brand of amplifier makes any difference!

Tinman1952

You seem like someone who'd start a fight in an empty room ....
Ouch! 😖
In fairness to Gray he is always respectful of others' opinions....I am just surprised he has 'gone to the dark side' where speaker break in is concerned...especially as I understand he has worked for Monitor Audio in the past and they normally recommend 150 hours 'burn in' for their speakers. Most other manufacturers also state in their literature that speakers will sound better after a period of running in...( Dynaudio, Wharfedale etc.).
My personal experience with over a dozen different speakers is that they all take time to 'bed in' particularly metal tweeters and kevlar drivers. 🙂

TrevC

So, in your world, amplifiers with exactly the same spec. (if you can find them) from different manufacturers will sound exactly the same?
......cue time for another wind-up reply.....

They will sound very similar when tested, if they meet their spec. Find someone that has tested them. Check that they can tolerate low impedance loads if you are going to use low impedance speakers, for example. Audition won't be required, unlike speakers which have very large differences and should be auditioned, or at least tested properly by one of the lab testing magazines. It's pity that WHF doesn't do proper reviews and test specs.

Now do your wind up reply if you wish. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts