Speaker audition surprise!

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
I went to audition Dynaudio DM2/6 speakers and also add B&W CM1 as a comparision but not expecting these to suit my main music tastes (heavy rock).
I ran with existing AVR 280 Arcam Amp and Marantz DV6001 DVD player.
Ok, nothing too exciting here.
I added RDAC and Ipod Touch (Rwand) although limited to few tracks preloaded.

Started with CM1s which were fantastic with acoustic and female vocals were enchanting played through DVD player + RDAC but not very exciting. Rock was certaining missing in the warmth and lower midrange. Surprisingly the Bass seemed quite heavy, especially with RDAC which added noticable weight to me.

Moving onto Dynaudio's, these had more in the midrange / lower midrange, perhaps less bassy than CM1's overall, but after trying to like them, I felt sound was flat, not very dynamic or engaging. Even adding Arcam CD player (CD37) I think, the sound was clearer / more defined but still flat!!!
I am thinking the AMP is not good enough here??

I was convinced to quickly swap to MA RX1's (time was running out) and boy these were great to my surprise. Not really excited when I auditioned GS10 a few years back. They had quite a full sound and didn't crucify medicore rock recordings, but were sooo rhythmic and enjoyable to listen to. I just started getting into the music. Top end not harsh and detail levels were ok from quick audition and what I can remember now.

Quandry is these are bigger speakers than planned and they need to work close to wall / on a solid sideboard.
I can home audition but am first going to listen to Rega RS1 as these look to be better suited to where they will be situated.

Hoping the RS1 will rock!

Was quite impressived with RDAC + IPOD Touch (Rwand) by the way even though music choice was effectively MJackson. Sound did cut out (blip) every so often? Shop guy said it maybe as they have Sonus / other stuff running there also?
Anyone noticed this? I am very keen to get this as well as speakers.

Next Audition just over week away!

Cheers
Ambrose

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The RX1's are an excellent little speaker. They do normally need a little room behind them to work at their beat, but if you can give them that, they'll perform admirably. The Rega RS1's should also be impressive, but won't be in the same league as far as bass is concerned. If you can, do try the KEF Q300 too, which has a few unique qualities at this price point.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks David.
What would you call a little room behind? I know this is dependent on specific room but a guideline?
I guess Bung would help and setting speaker as Small as I saw in some old threads might work as I have B&W ASW2 Subwoofer also?

I guess I would like a smaller speaker than RX1 but with lively / forward sound and flexible room positioning. Not much really!!

I do have option of demoing PMC DB1 / neat motive 3 but rather expense. Would need to blow me away!!
Ambrose

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
the Neat Motive 3 and PMC DB1i are my 2 favourite speakers under £1k.

i would think it worth auditioning just to see if they are worth the extra cost to you, otherwise you may always be thinking what if......

When i bought my Neat Motives 3 i auditioned the Proac 1SC as well just to see what an additional £550 would bring to the equation, even though i wasnt sure i wanted to spend that much - and actually i didnt think they were better so it has helped me remain very happy with my purchase, even when i get the occasional temptation to upgrade

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Crusaderlord,
I have heard DB1+ before (I think at the time) they were about £650.
These I found worked well with budget(ish) gear I had at time and sounded pretty good, very clear sound. I was looking for more scale at time so ended up with the Totem Arrow before changing to Spendor S5/e due to room acoustics. and upgrading CDP to Naim CD5i. The CD5i was magical, and brought unplanned!

I would really love to hear you opinions on the NEAT 3's never having heard them?
Also, do these work close to wall placement?

Thanks !
Ambrose

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
i wrote thoughts on various speakers i tried on my demo - this can be found on the link below which may help

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/standmount-speaker-demo-700-1250

i use the Neat Motive 3's with the back of the speaker at 25cm away from the wall behind which seems to work about right - i wouldnt personally go too much closer than that as they need a bit of room for the rear port - bass is great and i certainly would not want any more (hence my avoidance of floorstanders) and the speakers are generally considered fast and dynamic in presentation and i found them a bit smoother than the PMC

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Ambrose said:
Thanks David. What would you call a little room behind? I know this is dependent on specific room but a guideline? I guess Bung would help and setting speaker as Small as I saw in some old threads might work as I have B&W ASW2 Subwoofer also? I guess I would like a smaller speaker than RX1 but with lively / forward sound and flexible room positioning. Not much really!! I do have option of demoing PMC DB1 / neat motive 3 but rather expense. Would need to blow me away!! Ambrose

It is room dependent - one room might need a foot or so, another you might get away with pushing them right against the wall. If it's a solid brick wall, you might need about a foot, but angling them in can help also. If it's a stud/partition wall, you'll be able to get them closer. I will always recommend not to use foam bungs unless absolutely necessary, as I find they rob the speaker of their energy and life. One of the few speakers that seems to get away with this is the KEF Q300.

I would set the speaker to small. This should only be set to large if the speaker can handle a full range HD audio signal, which many can't.

The DBi's and the Motive 3's will give you what you want, but again, positioning will be similar to the RX1's. You could try the Spendor S3/5r2's, which are a sealed cabinet, so won't suffer with room positioning problems like ported speakers, and isn't far off the quality od their SA1 standmount.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi David,
Speaker will be placed against solid wall which is between our house and neighbours.
This kinda worries me somewhat now.
My local store have (may still?) some Spendor S3/5r2's with £200ish off. Might be worth a listen although I was told bass was poor. Still, I have B&W AS2 sub already.
I was also worried AMP would not be good enough to drive properly as read need a really meaty AMP to work at their best.

I might enquire further about the Spendor, if they are half as good as the S5/e I used to own...........

I think as speakers need to be squeezed against rear wall and also the front of the left speaker will be roughly in line with chimney breast then starting to think more limited options are:-
REGA RS1 (also designed for wall mounting)
SPENDOR S3/5r2 (close box)
PMC DB1 (second hand) also designed for wall mounting?
Discounted ATC SCM7 as ugly (sorry!)and also probably too hard to drive with my amp.

Sound like a sensible speaker list for audition?
Cheers
Ambrose

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts