Speaker Advice - Sonos/Audiolab Setup

Yamyam

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello All,

am looking for some advice....

My main music setup comprises Sonos Connect / Audiolab 8200DQ / Audiolab 8200P Bi-wired to Ruark Prelude II....

Am looking to upgrade the Ruarks, faithful as they are. Room is 14 feet x 10 feet.

I have an extensive collection of Heavy Rock (don't mean to boast but about 50,000 tracks), but do listen to other genres (as long as they have guitar), but as Vinyl, tape and CD collection (along with the LP12 :oops: ) is now confined to the attic, I make do with rips with the majority in 256/320 bitrate.

Now that I'm really old and/or henpecked, sounds levels I listen to are "moderate"; the days of the Marshall wall are over, and like my sound "clean" if that makes sense.

I also have a B&K Electronics XLS200 wired in that I occasionally bring into play.

So, here's the question....any advice on a shortlist of replacement speakers, given the above?

I have the dilemna of compact floorstanders vs standmounts, I like the design aspects of floorstanders, but am now warming to the idea of standmounts - over the years, and on reflection, I think I've got on with standmounts the best.

Currently on the shortlist are Neat Motive 2, B&W PM1s (but still in "sticker shock"), and am really not sure about the KEF LS50's and PMC range (Haven't heard yet). Speakers would be about a foot from the wall, WAF, and make the best of my 256/320 bitrate rips given the Audiolab 'middle'.

Suggestions please?

Yamyam

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
A friend suggested I should add Spendor SA1's to the list, anybody with any experience of these (or the others previously mentioned with the 8200P)? Thanks.

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Many people on here highly rate the Kef LS50, you say you are not sure, why have you tried them and don't like them?

I have no exerienmce of your amp but I found Dynaudio speakers to be slightly hard to drive they like a decent amp (I have owned several different pairs of their speakers) what about Monitor Audio if you like a 'clean' sound, though you may need to choose carefully as some say they can tend to brightness (though mine don't)

Tommo

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The KEF LS50s are very good, they need a bit of space and are best at moderate volumes rather than low. Another one to add are KEF R100s a bit easier than the LS50s. Not sure about Audiolab and Dyns (excite X12) maybe too revealing? Neat are not so good at higher volumes.

Yamyam

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much everybody.

When I mentioned that I wasn't sure about the LS50s, it was only because I hadn't heard them.

Now, for some demos.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts