Speaker advice redux?

Mcanaday

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,I have already benefited a lot from advice on this site helping me to pick out speakers for a new system. I am close to a decision, and having finally thought through the various factors wanted to put my finalists to a vote.Here are the factors:--the amplifier is the Creek Evolution 50a--the room is small 9x11 (I will be able to pull the speakers out about 2 feet from the wall.)--this is a row house, so I need a speaker that performs well at low levels. (i.e. neighbors).--my musical taste is eclectic. I listen to jazz, acoustic, rock, and r and b. --I would rather not use a subwoofer, although I wouldn't rule it out down the road.So I am looking for an easy to drive speaker, that is not too fussy about placement (although will not be jammed against the wall), matches well with the Creek 50a, performs well at low volumes, and does a range of music well.I had nearly settled on the Dynaudio Excite x12 before reading that they really sound best with quite a bit of volume. This has led me to go back and reconsider two of the speakers that forum members seemed to suggest for conditions like mine most often:1) The Harbeth P3esr2) The Silverline Minuets Supreme PlusSo I wonder if those of you who have an opinion would care to vote as to which you think is the better choice (Harbeth or Silverline) given the above described conditions? I should say too that the cost differential is not a huge factor to me in that both are within my speaker budget, and while I recognize the Silverlines are a great deal, I am going to live with this decision for a long time. With many thanks again,Margot

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Never heard of Silverline speakers. The little Harbeths are superb though! They're not fussy about positioning at all (sealed design). They have a lowish sensitivity, but are easy to drive (I understand you don't need ear splitting levels anyway). If they are within budget, you can't go far wrong. So they get my vote!

PS: I assume you auditioned both candidates yourself, and like both to some extent?

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Another option which would be easy to demo would be a pair of Kef R300. 2 foot away from the wall should be ample, but you can use the partial bungs if you get too much bass response. They are easy to drive and sound great at low levels IMO.

I would also cconsider PMC DB1i or TB2i, or preferably twenty.21 or 22. The transmission line seems to translate into good low level performance, and they are easy to drive.

I haven't heard either of the speakers you mention. I am intrigued to hear the Harbeths, having a soft spot for sealed box speakers, but suspect they will be harder to drive than any of the ported options mentioned.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
In that size room I would consider the Kef R100s and maybe some Epos (same campany as Creek). I have tried the Excite X12s but did not like them, The Creek 50A was good, probably best amp. I auditioned. I agree about sub. that is the sound that goes through walls, best not to have if you have neighbours.

Really you need to hear before buying as speakers are all different.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
I used to have a pair of P3ESRs and I'd happily buy them again for use in a small room like that. The Creek will work fine with them.

TRENDING THREADS