Speaker Advice please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I've just inherited my brothers oldish Denon PMA-255 amplifier which he assures me is a decent budget amp worth keeping. Can anybody please advise me on a pair of speakers to best compliment it. I guess I could spend up to £400 but that might be overkill. Oh yes, how important are stands?

Many thanks.

matthewpiano

That is indeed a decent integrated amp and well worth building a system around. A pair of 2nd hand Mordaunt-Short MS20i Pearls would sound fantastic with it and would only cost you about £50.

Alternatively look at the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s and 10.1s. Superb speakers.

izpuuteejs

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
as my new room is smaller, (attic room) I really can't feel 100% advantages of floorstanders..

anyway sound is very dynamic, clear treble (focal's titanium tweeters) realistic midrange, powerful bass, decent stereo imaging, but like WHF reviewed NAD C355 - not very detailed and airy, but it's great for metal/rock/dance music

at the moment I am thinking of upgrade, maybe Roksan K2...

1trackman:

Hi,

I've just inherited my brothers oldish Denon PMA-255 amplifier which he assures me is a decent budget amp worth keeping. Can anybody please advise me on a pair of speakers to best compliment it. I guess I could spend up to £400 but that might be overkill. Oh yes, how important are stands?

Many thanks.

Hi

You would need to budget around £100 RRP for good stands. I would suggest you would need a fairly controlled speaker, due to the Denon can be slightly sharp in the treble. Focal budget range would be a good choice, likewise Tannoy Custom are fine speakers for the money. Having said that, my personal choice with your estimated budget would be Wharfedale 9.1 or the newer 10.1. All of these will fall well within your allocated money.

A

Anonymous

I want to buy some outdoor weatherproof speakers but am unsure abt what ones to buy what is a good value speaker that can give of a decent sound ,not like a night club and will last

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your thoughts people. The Wharfedales seem to be the common denominator here as well as getting a top WHF review.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Can anyone advise what speakers would be good with the Cambridge Audio 650? I have been told to avoid the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s (too bassy) andhave been recommended the Mordaunt-Short Aviano 1s. Any advice appreciated. I am drawn to bookshelf speakers rather than floor standing speakers though slightly concerned that my kids will knock the speakers off the stands. any suggestions? Final question - I was initially looking at the CA340 rather than the 650 - will the 650 be significantly better? Thanks

A

Anonymous

I decided on a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's but all that's
available in my location is a pair of 10.5's floorstanders. I'm tempted but does
anyone advise against the 10.5's?

A

Anonymous

if you can 'squeeze in' some floorstanders, these may go for very cheap (cabinets need a bit of work but will be cheap to sort) ...

Sansui S-950 Vintage 3-Way 10" Speakers ... ebay item 260488529285

TRENDING THREADS