Speaker Advice Needed

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

help needed!

I am replacing my very old Linn based separates with a Naim Uniti 2 and today I auditioned ProAc D18 and Monitor Audio GX300 speakers. I was really hopeful I would like them as they were recommended by several sources, lots of star ratings etc.

Sadly the ProAcs sounded flat unless volume was cranked up, even at high volume they didnt have much of a soundstage / spatial presence to the music. The Monitor Audios were slightly better but again not as involving my old Linn kit.

Thinking it may be the Uniti I auditioned Sonus Faber Elipsas and the difference was amazing - I wasn't listening to a performance I was there. Exactly what I am looking for. Sadly the Elipsas are way out of my price league.

So can anyone recommends other speakers to audition which will give me more soundstage and a more involving listen.

Thanks in advance.......

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi

When I was looking for speakersI found the D18's didn't give me the drive I wanted at the volume levels I wanted so was willing to sacrifice a bit of SQ to get the overall performance I wanted so was happy to go with the Studio 140's.

If I was looking now and I would look at the PMC 23, Kef R700 and Spendor A6. I have heard all these with my amp and they are all excellent performers, it will really be down to your personal preference.

You have a good choice around the D18 price point so have a good listen, make sure you try at home before committing to your choice and have fun !

Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Jambalaya am looking to spend up to £2500 max, that's why I auditioned the D18s and the GX300s. Elipsas way out of my budget

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
As well as Shanka's recommendations, I would throw in the new Sonus Faber Venere range (2.5) which Acalex has discovered, and should be in budget:
http://www.puresound.be/nieuws/article/sonus-faber-venere-press-release/

Nb €2550 is about £2000

Jambalaya

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I hesitated to recommend the Spendor A6 in case you were looking at something more expensive. When I read your description of your audition experience of the ProAc and Monitor Audio compared to what you are looking for I couldn't help but think of my own situation. After lots of listening, I stumbled upon the Spendors which have not disappointed. Their main strength is the detail they present at almost all listening levels, especially at reasonable listening levels. If you listen to jazz, classical or modern popular the amount of bass they produce is more than adequate and very realistic.

atticus

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello Blackpoolboy,

Welcome! You might try listening to the ADM 40's. They are active and I ditched all my previous kit and replaced it with a pair of these. Not a single regret. Not to everyone's taste, I know, but worth a listen.

iceman16

Blackpoolboy said:
Hi all,

help needed!

I am replacing my very old Linn based separates with a Naim Uniti 2 and today I auditioned ProAc D18 and Monitor Audio GX300 speakers. I was really hopeful I would like them as they were recommended by several sources, lots of star ratings etc.

Sadly the ProAcs sounded flat unless volume was cranked up, even at high volume they didnt have much of a soundstage / spatial presence to the music. The Monitor Audios were slightly better but again not as involving my old Linn kit.

Thinking it may be the Uniti I auditioned Sonus Faber Elipsas and the difference was amazing - I wasn't listening to a performance I was there. Exactly what I am looking for. Sadly the Elipsas are way out of my price league.

So can anyone recommends other speakers to audition which will give me more soundstage and a more involving listen.

Thanks in advance.......

Hi Blackpoolboy,

What 's the size of your room?

Novaportian

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi Blackpool boy,

I bought the original Uniti and a pair of Neat Petite speakers. Can't recommend them enough, if you are after a bit more scale, then the Elite SX are also great. Your Uniti will have more than enough grunt to drive them. I would try to audition as many speakers as you can, preferably on a home demo. Good choice of system! Let us know how you get on.

A

Anonymous

All many thanks for the advice, I listen to most types of music, classical and jazz dominate but good rock, reggae and blues also feature. Also paramount that i keep my LP12 as part of the system!

Room is large 30ft by 20 ft and has an un- carpeted wooden floor. A6s are definitely on the list. Will let you know how I get on.

cheers....

A

Anonymous

Hi Iceman

the room is about 30ft by 20ft, it is un carpeted, has a wooden floor and lots of windows so its full of hard surfaces. Not ideal for music but hey ho.

cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts