Speaker Advice: Naim System

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm hoping to get a new system together for a budget of £2500 approx. I really like the Nait5i and the Naim 5i for amp and cd player. I've listened to them with Dynaudio Focus 110 but I'm a bit worried about how they'll work in my room which is 4m by 4m - I think they need to be further away from the back wall than I can put them. I like fairly easy listening stuff, nothing with too much bass, what I want is something that will capture the sense of a live performance. Any suggestions on what I should audition before I make my final purchase.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gregory"]rega r3. easy to place, look nice in black and i believe will suit your requirements.[/quote]
Ummmm.......yeah....

A

Anonymous

I have a set of 110's and have them around 50 cms from the rear wall. I have had them in a smaller room and they were around 30 cms from the wall, I must say though at around 50 cms the sound they produce is fantastic.
Have you tried them at home ?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
NEAT
[/quote]
I'm toying with the idea of NEAT or Rega speakers and then a Naim amp. How can you describe the differences between, say, the Neat Motive 2s and Rega R5s? Does the Naim Nait 5i have a low damping factor? (apologies for hijacking the thread but I thought these would be relevant questions...)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Neat has dry-er bass, better soundstage and higher frequancy respond. Rega bass is fuller, deeper but roll off up top, not as fast but easier to partner.

Neat are all about timing or know in the reviewer's world as PRaTy, extreamly good with progressive rock stuff but will do other music very well too. I had 5 pair of Neats and they all excellent, although the motive2 will work best in smallish room.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]

Neat has dry-er bass, better soundstage and higher frequancy respond. Rega bass is fuller, deeper but roll off up top, not as fast but easier to partner.

Neat are all about timing or know in the reviewer's world as PRaTy, extreamly good with progressive rock stuff but will do other music very well too. I had 5 pair of Neats and they all excellent, although the motive2 will work best in smallish room.
[/quote]
Cheers for that...my mouth is watering already...

A

Anonymous

Yep. Neat Motive or Rega. Superb speakers either way - I think the Neats would suit you best for what your after - and they are the Naims of the speaker world! Have a look at Naim's speakers though.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"] Have a look at Naim's speakers though.[/quote]

emotion-45.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
[quote user="Hughes123"] Have a look at Naim's speakers though.[/quote]

emotion-45.gif

[/quote]
Didn't Naim produce dynamic loudspeakers because the chap who was going to design them electrostatics left half way through the project? I've heard luke-warm things about them...

A

Anonymous

:( Ok then, take that back. I hadn't heard anything bad about them before - please don't tell me the DBLs are bad because I've heard them and they are superb!

A

Anonymous

The only speakers I have ever heard better were at the Bristol Show this year - they were on one of the higher floors and then were like pyramidy slanted triangle speakers....they were playing Louis Armstrong I believe and they were SOOOO good I spent an hour in there - and the wiered thing was, very few people went in there!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Even Naim's staff told me that Neat do go better with Naim than their own speakers! (sorry if I drop you in to it...)

Naim's speakers are not bad by all mean but for the (high asking) price I think you can buy a lot better (and many of them out there).

A

Anonymous

What about the Motive 3 standmounters with the 5i combo??
Also i'm wondering.... WhatHiFi tested the NAIM CD5x with a pre/power combo and NEAT motive 2s in the January edition and they said it was great but was intolerate (more so than other systems) of poorly produced discs. Does the base 5i combo and Neats have the same 'shortcomings'???
tajules.

A

Anonymous

In what way does a pair of £500 speakers suit someone who wants to spend £2,500?
I'd listen to Dynaudio Contours or B&W 804s.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Rev"]In what way does a pair of £500 speakers suit someone who wants to spend £2,500?
I'd listen to Dynaudio Contours or B&W 804s.[/quote]

The budget is £2500 in total, so I don't suppose £500 is that unreasonable, by the time you've factored in stands, etc. Looking at some of the replies, I'm wondering about the Neat Motive 3 standmounts - anybody heard these?

A

Anonymous

I haven't heard them myself, Tom, coz neat's distribution isn't that great.However WHF tested them a year or 2 ago and they got 5 stars - if I remember correctly the ProAc Studio 110s won the test...So i think you have 4 standmount speakers at that price that are highly regardedthe ATC STM11, ProAc Studio 110, Dynaudio Focus 110, and Neat's Motive 3... Also PMC have launched a new DB1i at a similar price.....jules.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jules153"] Also PMC have launched a new DB1i at a similar price.....[/quote]

Yes, and biased though I am as a PMC user, the DB1is are very fab indeed.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="tom2008"]
[quote user="Rev"]In what way does a pair of £500 speakers suit someone who wants to spend £2,500?

The budget is £2500 in total, so I don't suppose £500 is that unreasonable, by the time you've factored in stands, etc. Looking at some of the replies, I'm wondering about the Neat Motive 3 standmounts - anybody heard these?

[/quote]

Are you going to spend £2,000 on stands/cable? If not then a £500 pair of speakers can't possibly be worth listening to, honestly mate - don't waste your time!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Rev"][quote user="tom2008"]

[/quote]

Are you going to spend £2,000 on stands/cable? If not then a £500 pair of speakers can't possibly be worth listening to, honestly mate - don't waste your time![/quote]

No, about £1600-1700 on the electronics, the rest on speakers, cables, etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts