SPDIF volume levels - Panasonic TV

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Panasonic TX-P46GT30B plasma TV which I think is great. It's connected via its Toslink/SPDIF output to a MUSE DAC and thence to a Linn Pretek pre-amp, Linn LK280 power amp and EPOS ES14 loudpseakers. Although stereo only, it works well most of the time.

One oddity that I am pondering about is that when listening via the hifi, if I change TV channels - for example on Freesat - say from 101 (BBC1) to 108 (BBC1 HD) or from a Freesat channel to the same channel on Freeview via a HDMI cable from a BT Vision box - there can be quite a large change in volume level.

I know that the TV has a means to adjust the default volume levels on inputs and channels to allow switching between without a large volume change - but this only seems to work on the TVs own sound/speakers and doesn't affect external audio connected via the TV's SPDIF output - which makes the feature pretty pointless really.

Is this just something I'll have to live with or is there a workaround that I just haven't yet discovered?

Cheers
Andrew

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Andrew

I've noticed this problem with my Panasonic P42V20B for some time & finally got around to experimenting solving this issue where HD enabled channels volume out via optical drops by ~10dB compared with the non-HD ones. Presuming the menus & options are the same:

Select 'Menu' - 'Sound' - scroll down to 'SPDIF Selection' then set to 'PCM' (you probably have this selected anyway)

Scroll to 'MPEG Optical Level' then set '-10dB'

Works for me as it doesn't effect the volume on the HD channels. I hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

busb said:
Select 'Menu' - 'Sound' - scroll down to 'SPDIF Selection' then set to 'PCM' (you probably have this selected anyway)

Scroll to 'MPEG Optical Level' then set '-10dB'

Ah ...... I don't have 'MPEG Optical Level' on the Sound menu. I've tried emailing Panasonic, but haven't got a reply yet.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers
Andrew

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Just in case... you are accessing the full 'Sound' menu & not the context sensitive one? The reason I ask is that on my model, if you are not just watching a program & press menu, I get a truncated version.

Although it works for me, it's only a partial fix - if I select another source such as CD, the volume will be ~10dB louder. One needs to be able to increase the level on HD channels instead.

TV manufacturers are beginning to take the operational aspects of TVs a bit more seriously - albeit slowly. If only they would make them almost silent, I'd be even happier!

A

Anonymous

busb said:
Just in case... you are accessing the full 'Sound' menu & not the context sensitive one

I hadn't noticed that there is a context sensitive menu - I'll check that out.

Cheers
Andrew

A

Anonymous

No, definitely no "MPEG Optical Level" adjustment.

I did get a reply from Panasonic as follows: "In response, I can confirm that the volume adjustment for inputs only affects the television’s internal speakers. Unfortunately, this function does not work on the SPDIF output, and there is no workaround."

I suppose I need the exercise. :)

Or maybe I should have a look to see if I can find a used Linn Kairn to replace the Pretek.

Andrew

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts