spdif output confusion

daveh75

according to my device manager i have a spdif output on the right hand headphone jack of my laptop, trouble being i thought spdif was coaxial, but surely if its using a mini jack it would be a optical output like they are on mac's, or can you get a mini jack to rca digital coaxial interconnect, by the way the laptop in question is a dell inspiron 1525, theres no information about it either in the handbook, or in the tech specs or on dells website that i can find, any help would be appreciated

John Duncan

No, SPDIF is optical, and you need a mini-toslink-to-toslink cable.

I had a picture somewhere once, hang on.......

Here you go:

pgd582.jpg

daveh75

cheers andrew and jd, just heard back from dell, and apparently(just to be awkward) imo, it actually outputs via the s-video port, and you have to get an svideo to composite+spdif adaptor,

John Duncan

hm no, might have just been references to it in dell manuals. Do you have an optical cable, even if is a toslink socket at either end? There are adapters to fit headphone-socket-style to toslink, which might be cheapest way to try it and see.

daveh75

just found a reference to it in the dell manual on there site, and it definitely outputs via s-video, so i guess i'll have to get the adapter,or just not bother and use the mini-jack to rca lead i've been using, or wait till i get an a/v receiver and use the hdmi out

TRENDING THREADS