sources of classical vinyl

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
having trouble sourcing new classical vinyl. Bought a few from Amazon (they do lots of jazz and rock however) but very limited list of titles. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

A

Anonymous

There is a problem with sourcing new classical vinyl FULL STOP. Classical music is quite difficult to make and recoup money on, not only do you have to pay the orchestra but the recording studio (it is not exactly bedroom stuff) is quite expensive and all the production that goes into it. I am afraid that there has been a move away from Classical music being released on vinyl at all...

If I were you I would try Linn Records - it is basically an on-line shop attached to the Linn website...

The other thing that I would do is wonder why you want 'new' vinyl...? At the moment the world is awash with classical vinyl that is, unfortunately, under appreciated. I am car-booting secondhand and I could deliver hundreds of classical titles to you for a pittance... perhaps with the money that you save you could buy a record cleaning machine and that would make most of them sound new.... try this website and see what you think

CLASSICAL VINYL RECORDS

and whatever happens good luck.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I echo the Above it can be hit and miss but look in charity shops and car boots for second hand stuff I pay around 50p sometimes less per disc, I recently bought a Box of over 100 Clasocal Discs from e-bay for £4 OK there was a lot of rubbish in there but I sorted out over 25 discs in good order that I wanted to listen to that is 16p each, even if there are only 2 in there I end up keeping long term I have still won.

There is so much out there waiting to be re-used and re-loved it is almost a crime to buy new.

matthewpiano

For me, classical music sounds better on CD than it does on vinyl. The silent backgrounds of CD are a real bonus, especially when listening to quieter passages, and some of the most recent recordings by Decca, LSO Live, DG, EMI, Hyperion and Chandos enjoy wonderful production and engineering. In the last couple of years there has been a real improvement in recording quality within the classical music industry.

A

Anonymous

not true some of the classic philips, decca and deutsch grammaphone vinyl still hasnt been equlled

matthewpiano

one off:
not true some of the classic philips, decca and deutsch grammaphone vinyl still hasnt been equlled

In your opinion.

I'm not suggesting that those classic RECORDINGS have been surpassed or even equalled in terms of recording quality OR performances but I firmly believe they sound better when properly transferred to CD. Furthermore I see a lot of value in being able to listen to a Mahler symphony (for example) without breaks to turn the record over. (I'd add EMI to your list as well - some of Walter Legge's work on that label is astounding).

My point about recent recordings is that during the CD age classical music has often suffered from less than ideal recording quality (DG and EMI in particular put out some dreadfully engineered recordings) but that recently the record companies seem to have raised their game significantly. The LSO Live recordings, for example, are sensationally good (listen to Gergiev's new recording of 'Bluebeard's Castle') and Riccardo Chailly's recordings on Decca enjoy wonderful orchestral sound.

A

Anonymous

in your opinion

but now your saying something different tro your original post

matthewpiano

No I'm not. I just didn't make it quite clear enough in my original post. I was talking about an improvement based on previous standards in the CD age, not an improvement over the quality of the classic recordings from the 50s and 60s. (The majority of my CDs are transfers of those classic recordings and my favourite musicians are mostly from that period as well).

My first post also began 'For me..' which is another way of making it clear that what follows is my opinion. Your post came over as more of a statement of fact.

OP - If you really do want these recordings on vinyl there are some good dealers listed in the back of Gramophone. There are certain pressings/series of LPs that give the best sound and these go for large amounts of money.

If you are looking more generally and at the cheaper end of the market there is loads of stuff on Ebay or at record fairs. I've picked up quite a few things, such as some of Brendel's early recordings on vinyl, for very little money and had a great deal of enjoyment from them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts