Soundstage in small room

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone help?

My room is 12 metres squared. I have my floorstanders about 0.3 metres away from the wall, and my listening position is 2 - 3 metres away from the speakers. My wardrobe is positioned closely to one of the speakers (beside it).

My set up is (JBL ES 80 Floorstanders) (JBL ESP 150 Subwoofer) (Marantz KI 7001 CD Player) (Icon Audio 50Watt Integrated Valve Amplifier) (Van den Hull speaker cabe)

I placed foam inserts into the ports of the JBL speakers to reduce the bass resonance in the room because it was reflecting of the walls. Since I have made this change the bass sounds more 'tight' and 'controlled' so to speak.

In terms of the sound quality, the instruments sound realistic, the dynamic range is impressive (JBL has supertweeter which the Valve smoothens out) however the stereo image is somewhat poor.

When playing CD's it sounds as if there is virtually no soundstage. It is difficult to locate where the individual musicians are playing in the band. I am not sure if this is down to the lack of space in my room, or the soundwaves being bounced of the walls which are in close proximity, or whether this is down to the cd player - which I doubt.

Could anyone offer some insight?

Dean :)

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Have a mess about with speaker placement. Adjust how far the speakers are from each other (if possible), and have a play around with the amount of toe-in towards your listening position.

I was always told the speakers should not be further apart than the distance you are from them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts