admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Any chance of a soundtest of the various soundbars on offer?

Speaker placement means that my only other realistic option to a soundbar is the Q acoustics Q AV with some discreet cabling. Given that the speakers alone will be £600 and a decent AV amp will be £400+ then my budget is overspent to go that route especially when you throw in the cost speakers cables too.

I know you rated the Yamaha 40d highly and at £700 it looks to be a good option. I am also wondering about the marantz sounbars and any others I am unaware of. Also, I have just ordered the 37px80b - would the YSP 30d be a better fit (or does it suffer for its lack of sub speakers?) Guidance on soundbars for smaller viewing/listening spaces would also be appeciated i.e a best for small spaces etc.

Don't wory about answering the specifics here but if a comprehensive run down of soundbars could come sometime in 2009 then it would make me a happy man.

Thanks for reading and keep up the good work.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
They won't do it on here it unfortunately and has been requested before. All you can do is buy the Ultimate guide that portrays the YSP 600, DSP 40D and the Marantz soundbar. It is a shame really as Amazon sell different ones like Denon and it would be nice to see a group test beginning with budget right up to the Big Players comparing YSP 900 to the 30D etc.

Never mind one can hope for a big test in 2009.

A

Anonymous

shado:

... Amazon sell different ones like Denon and it would be nice to see a group test beginning with budget right up to the Big Players comparing YSP 900 to the 30D etc.

Never mind one can hope for a big test in 2009.

Hope so Shado, any word on this from the WHF team? seeing as its Christmas and all!!

A

Anonymous

OK, so it's not quite Christmas day, but I've still got the decorations up on my tree, so I guess that counts.

With a Panasonic TV like the one you've ordered, I'd recommend going for a Yamaha sound bar. The company has astutely decided to make its speaker systems conform to Panasonic's Viera link command protocol (not hard, because it's just another part of the HDMI CEC digital control system that, in theory, everyone should comply with). What that means is that you'll be able to operate the bar using your TV's remote handset, which you'll have to admit is neat.

As to performance - well, the 30D and 40D bars are more-or-less the same in quality terms, despite the reduced number of drivers in the former. That's simply a reflection of its smaller size, nothing more.ÿIf you want to save money and/or have a smaller room, as you suggest, then the 30D will be fine. Aesthetically, I suspect neither the 30D or 40D will be a perfect fit for your 37in TV, with one overhanging your screen and the other appearing too short. Up to you and your style preferences, I guess.

One last thing. None of the Yamaha bars will currently handle HD audio from Blu-ray, not even as multiple decoded channels of PCM. That, apparently, is in the works for 2009. It may not bother you at all, but I thought you should know.

ÿHappy New Year!

ÿAndyÿ

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that Andy, due to stock issues with the 37" and the great price of the 42" we have opted for the bigger one so I guess the 40d is what I should be looking at now, I wil probably wait and see what comes out in 2009 if there is a chance of getting the HD audio sound.

EDIT: as stated elsewhere the 42" deal fell through, 37" in the house now, happy with it. So perhaps the 30d will suffice (I love saving money!)

TRENDING THREADS