Soundbars v Separates - Which is best when listening position is against the back wall?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm about to have a new room kitted out with new home cinema and to keep the wife sweet it's either a Yamaha soundbar(probably the YSP-2200) or a budget setup based around Q-Accoustics 2000 AV package + 2 extra speakers for 7.1(All 4 rears will have to be wall mounted). The room is 4.75 meter by 3.2 meter with one corner chopped off(due to planning.....don't even get me started on that one). Thus it makes sense to have the TV on that wall with the viewing/listening position near to the opposite corner. Due to space contraints the viewing position will be tight up aginst 1 of the 2 opposite walls(hope your with me so far). Question is would a soundbar cope well with this setup or would the Q-Accoustics fair better. BTW would a Onkyo TX-NR808 be too much for the Q-Accoustics? Any comments much appreciated.

TV -Sony KDL-40W5810, Blu-Ray - Sony BDP-S370, PVR - Humax Foxsat Freesat+

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I think most important factor in choosing either of these is your room acoustics and setup, if you don't have solid wall behind and on sides and if there are two many curtains the surround effect of sound bar reflection will not be efficient and will be boxy. This is offcourse my own opinion but experts on this site can confirm that.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Definetly wouldn't swap my Yamaha YSP-2200 for a style seperates package but your looking at full size seperates -different bucket of monkeys!

My soundbar works from corner with window to side and the settee sort of 'dog-leg' opposite and against the wall. really shouldn't work. Works better than a 5.1 set as it is impossible to position stands/ speakers in an ideal location yet soundbar manages admirably. Posted review and other comments on here already just search, have added tips on how i achieved the best from it.

If you like the sound of the seperates and can accomodate then great. Have heard the Q's can be a little hard so guessing they may need an audition. Speakers would be better in 2 channel if music is also you're thing, but then they take up far more space.

Good Luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts