Question Soundbar Swapped; a mistake?

Loup Garou

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
We are downsizing and moving into an apartment block in East Sussex in the next few months. I am setting up a home cinema system in the 17' x 11' lounge and due to the limitations of space, decided to base the audio around a Soundbar rather than the more traditional AV receiver to which I was used. I bought a 65" OLED TV, a 4K Blu-ray player (based on What HiFi reviews) and have arranged for a Sky Q installation.

I originally opted for the Samsung HW Q90R soundbar with its standard rear speakers; but the engineer who came for a survey felt that satisfactory siting of rear speakers would be difficult because of intervening doorways, sloping ceiling and built-in furniture at the back of the room. Therefore, I changed the order to Sony HT ST5000, which has no rear speakers. I am buying all kit from Richer Sounds.

But the Cabinet Maker who is building my bespoke A-V Cabinet suggested a solution which is workable and I realised rather too late that rear speakers CAN in fact be properly sited after all in the lounge. Of course, as the items have not been delivered yet and so I can change the order back to the Samsung Q90R and pay the difference but I am in two minds about this. I was very impressed with the Sony in a demo and a friend who lives in Singapore said that there are rumours that Sony are going to release compatible rear speakers for the ST5000 in the next 12 months or so.

So what should I do now? Change the order back to the Samsung or stick to the Sony and hope for that the rear speaker rumours are true?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts