Soundbar set up help, please!

tez68

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I really hope somebody can help me as I've been at this for ages and have got nowhere!! I have been lucky enough to have been given a Yamaha YHT-S400 home theatre package soundbar by my uncle, but can't get the tv to play through it. My tv is a Panasonic viera TX-L37DT30B. All i want to do is set up the soundbar to my tv, with no other equipment. I've managed to get the radio working on the yamaha but not the TV. The instructions say to run the HDMI cable from the subwoofer HDMI OUT jack to the HDMI IN jack of my TV. I have 4 HDMI jacks at the back of my tv, 3 normal and 1 that says HDMI ARC. I have tried all 4 and no joy. I've changed the HDMI control option from 'ON' to 'OFF' with the subwoofer remote with no joy. Am now completely stuck as the instructions are as clear as mud! If anybody can help I would really appreciate it. Thank you

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
If you have a viera link button on the remote their might be a setting in their that needs adjusting, a choice between tv and home cinema for example.

tez68

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I've tried that and it still doesn't work! Any more idea's please? I can't believe how hard it is to set this up, its only 1 wire!! It must be something to do with the settings?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi tez68 :wave:

Have you tried connecting your tv to the subwoofer integrated receiver using an optical cable, I only say this because according to the instructions (had a look online) the hdmi out signal only travels in one direction ie from the sub/receiver unit to the tv, so this may be the reason you are not getting any sound.

hope this gives you another option to try.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
From the manual:

"To output the sound of a TV from this system, you can select optical digital input and connect to the digital output jack on your TV." So in other words, run an optical digital cable from the digital output on your TV (assuming it has one) to the optical digital input on the Yamaha soundbar.

You only need to run an HDMI cable from the HDMI OUT on the soundbar to the HDMI IN on the TV if you already have a DVD/Blu-ray player or set-top box connected directly to the soundbar (via one of the three HDMI inputs). The point of this is to pass the video picture from the player to the TV, while the audio from the player goes directly through the soundbar.

TRENDING THREADS