hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Greetings all,

i am going to upgrade my tv in next few weeks so need a bit of advice on improving the sq. don't want anything big just a basic system as our living room is quite small, bigger louge is reserved for my hifi system.

this is what i have in mind :

couple of small speakers for fronts with a centre speakers powered by an av.

with that setup would i need a sub?

i am on a tight budget. So preferably 2nd hand.

Any suggestions guys?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:

With that kind of spec I'd go for one of the Yamaha 'sound projector' soundbars. A YSP-1600 is about half the price of the pair of DM5s you're about to have suggested to you, though whether you'll find one secondhand is a different matter.

Mind you, if you factor in the cost of a receiver, I'd say the YSP-2500 would be an excellent buy for just under £500: it comes with a wireless subwoofer and this, like the soundbar itself, is active. In fact there are 17 drivers in total, and 17 amplifiers.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
lpv said:
Hi.. what's your max budget?

with 2nd hand i m looking to spend £350 max

ok.. so you'll have new tv and you have old av amp. you need 2 small speakers and centre speaker and possibly sub... from experience - if you get a pair of speakers with exceptional stereo image the centre speaker is not necessary. you could get pair of AVI DM5. go on AVI Forum - selling and buying section, there's a pair for sale now, rosewood premium finish, asking price £550 but you could negotiate.. or wait for a used pair in regular finish ( oak, black, walnut) and pay £450. if you have small room pair of these is all you need and then you can get rid off your big av amp and save space ( DM5s can go on shelves or wall brackets and you simply connect your telly headphone out using 3,5mm split cable straight into speakers inputs and control volume from your tv handset) if you feel bass is not enough, keep your av amp and get second hand BK Gemini II sub ( around £100).. you might end up with a system you'll like more then what you have now...

good luck !

lpv said:
I think OP asked for soundbar alternatives
Yes, but I don't think there's a decent alternative for the budget. In my opinion, a centre speaker is a must, and because the OP wants small speakers, even a subwoofer would be needed. That would push the budget up, even for a second hand option.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
lpv said:
Yes, but I don't think there's a decent alternative for the budget. In my opinion, a centre speaker is a must, and because the OP wants small speakers, even a subwoofer would be needed. That would push the budget up, even for a second hand option.

with all respect, if you don't think there's a decent alternative for the budget why bother answering?

I agree, with some lesser speakers systems centre is a must... decent & small passive speakers are pricey, hence my recommendation, merely £100 above budget ( or £200 with sub).

question to Animesh - what av amp you have?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:

...Plus the fact the OP doesn't mention having an AV receiver, so that would add even more to the cost.

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Ok guys, so i have done some measurements and a lengthy consultations with the mrs.

mrs is very reluctant to more boxes around the house, she certainly doesn't like the idea of have speakers on stands in the living room as we have two very hyperactive kids running and climbing around all day.

so it looks like, after all that, it is going to have to be a soundbar / projector.

yamaha it is than.

thank you all very much for your suggestions and advise.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
so it looks like, after all that, it is going to have to be a soundbar / projector.

yamaha it is than.

thank you all very much for your suggestions and advise.

You're very welcome, and I really do think a Yamaha soundbar is your best bet

The ones using the company's Sound Projector technology, which essentially has lots of tiny drivers each with its own amp, controlled by DSP to 'steer' the sound, are the ones to go for. The clue is in the model designation: any starting with 'YSP-' use this tech.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I agree that the DM5 will sound much better but even second hand I can't see how he could afford them without extending his £350 budget.

For £350 a second hand Yamaha sound bar is a very good option.

lpv said:
bigboss said:
lpv said:

with all respect, if you don't think there's a decent alternative for the budget why bother answering?
To reassure the OP about the soundbar option, which seems to be his final decision. You need the reassurance sometimes that there is no better alternative to the original choice.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
Greetings all,

i am going to upgrade my tv in next few weeks so need a bit of advice on improving the sq. don't want anything big just a basic system as our living room is quite small, bigger louge is reserved for my hifi system.

Any suggestions guys?

Hey Animesh,

my sister uses these for front speakers : http://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/2010i/review and can be bought for only £79.00 these days from Richer's : http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/q-acoustics/2010i-gr/qaco-2010i-graph (she bought these in Walnut colour)

and uses this for her centre : http://www.richersounds.com/product/centre-speakers/monitor-audio/mr-centre/moni-audio-mr-cen-wa

along with an Onkyo TR-SR308 Receiver and they all sound really good. (music and movies)

Here is a What HiFi 5* Cinema Amp 'like ne', only over a year old for only £100 : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-RX-V377-AV-Receiver-/131922316632?hash=item1eb72ecd58:g:akgAAOSwZVlXwaf9

So, 2 really nice sounding Front speakers, a good Centre speaker and a nearly new Cinema Amp and for just : £258.00

Animesh Ghose said:
Greetings all,

Any suggestions guys?

Just had a re-think. Do you have a PVR box of any description? If you have connect it to the Leemas 'Aux/MP3' or 'Tuner' or 'Tape' inputs. This is what I do with my Sky box. Great SQ for the money, and if you already have a PVR it'll only cost you few quid for interconnects.

plastic penguin said:
Animesh Ghose said:
Greetings all,

Any suggestions guys?

Just had a re-think. Do you have a PVR box of any description? If you have connect it to the Leemas 'Aux/MP3' or 'Tuner' or 'Tape' inputs. This is what I do with my Sky box. Great SQ for the money, and if you already have a PVR it'll only cost you few quid for interconnects.
This system is for a different room. The Hi-fi system is in the lounge, and this system is for the living room.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Currently, a lightning deal on Amazon LG soundbar for £350 (RRP £700). I haven't looked for any reviews for ir

LG SH8 Soundbar 4.1 with WiFi subwoofer 420 Watt https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DM7U8Y0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_FAbXxbRP2TGCT

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts