Sound upgrade

Psychedelicbiker

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

New to the forum and new to the realisation of the great sound quality that can be acheived with hood equipment since buying a set of dali zensor 3 speakers. Now considering where else i can upgrade my system to improve sound. I have a cambridge audio a1mk3 amp which has served me well for nearly ten years despite it being thrown in with some second hand decks. I have a rega mini pre amp. I run alot of my music from my computer, a chromecast audio and 70s b&o turntable. My speaker cables are 4mm copper. I think the sound quality now is amazing and can't honestly imagine how it could be better but im happy to find out. I have to admit im a bit skeptical about over engineered cables etc so i may need convincing with recommendations. My computer sound card is capable of 24/192 output but i run it at 16/48 as I've read convincing arguments that anything more is pointless. So any suggestions of where i can upgrade to get the best out of the speakers? I am also considering a sub as i love the low end of dub etc. I should probably also mention the music I love is quite varied: classic rock, metal, classical, dub, electro, psychedelic trance and a bit of everything else. Thanks in advance for any help and time.

Psychedelicbiker

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. My room is around 14' square. I guess im looking to where i can generally improve or identify if there is weak link in my system. Like i said everything sounds pretty good although i do do fancy some gut rumbling sub-bass. I also wouldn't mind hearing how a valve amp sounded but find all the options confusing i.e. vintage/budget/chinese. Ive toyed with the idea of a dac but research has lead my to believe the advantages are mythical. Then theres the amp, I'm not quite sure what level of amp would give a significant improvement one the one I've got. I could potentially spend £500-1000. But then theres no point if what I've got is good enough for the speakers ive just bought. Im not interested in spending money for the sake of it. The other consideration is that im looking to put some high quality second hand floor standers in my kitchen and run these from the same amp.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
A NAD D3020 works very well with the Zensor 3s. The bass was very deep when I had this pairing. It has enough inputs for all your current sources and has an inbuilt dac so you don't have to get too caught in that. You'd also get Bluetooth which can be useful. A great little amp overall and likely an upgrade over your A1.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Simple answer to your upgrade dilemma is a Croft integrated.

A valve hybrid integrated with a great phono stage (or you can buy the line only version and save £200), a taste of valves without the weight and the expense.

When you can, replace the record player with something better.

manix

May 31, 2016
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
Isn't this where someone pops up to recommend the Abrahamsen 2.0?

They must be slow today.

As usual the easiest and probably the best answer is actually go in some shops and listen to some demos of different amps. Loads of shops have those speakers so it shouldn't be hard.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
Simple answer to your upgrade dilemma is a Croft integrated.

A valve hybrid integrated with a great phono stage (or you can buy the line only version and save £200), a taste of valves without the weight and the expense.

When you can, replace the record player with something better.

Be very, very careful with Valve Amps. They can be very addictive........ You may find that once you've experienced the sound one of these can make, little else will do.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
OP asked about budget Chinese tube amps. Must say I'm curious myself. What kind of situations are they good for?

Not all Tube Amps sound the same. The SQ depends not only on the valves but probably more on the quality of the transformers. Heavier usually means better. It's for this reason that the HiFi industry went over to transistors where transformers don't need to be so heavy or big or expensive.

To many ears, a good Tube Amp will do bass as well as any SS Amp, but usually with a midrange that sounds a little more natural and 'right'.

You'd need to listen to a few valve Amps to appreciate for yourself their many charms and decide for yourself if the sound they make is right for you.

The first valve Amp I ever heard was playing quietly in the reception area of a HiFi shop. It stopped me dead. I had never heard anything that sounded so musical and engaging. It wasn't just making sounds, it was creating music..... I was there to audition my first pair of Sonus Fabers (which I bought), but I couldn't get that sound out of my head and I bought my first Valve Amp a few months later.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
OP asked about budget Chinese tube amps. Must say I'm curious myself. What kind of situations are they good for?

He did.

My limited experience suggests that the cheaper models are very variable and to be competitive, they are shipped direct from china. So little chance to audition and no backup or support in the uk, some people have had good experiences, others much less so.

In general I would be wary, but,

some of the better brands shipped out of china look very good value but you are pretty much on your own, if you are comfortable with this then something like this can be affordable.

hero9.jpg

Depending on the version (mainly valve choices) this, and others like it, from Cayin, Meixing, Sheng Ya etc can be landed for about £1k.

davedotco said:
thewinelake. said:

He did.

My limited experience suggests that the cheaper models are very variable and to be competitive, they are shipped direct from china. So little chance to audition and no backup or support in the uk, some people have had good experiences, others much less so.

In general I would be wary, but,

some of the better brands shipped out of china look very good value but you are pretty much on your own, if you are comfortable with this then something like this can be affordable.

Depending on the version (mainly valve choices) this, and others like it, from Cayin, Meixing, Sheng Ya etc can be landed for about £1k.

I concur. Valve amps can be found to suit any set-up but buying direct from China should be avoided if you worry about warranty etc.

thewinelake. said:
In that case, a key question would be how maintainable/fixable are they by independent electronics gurus over here?

Valve amps are usually all hard-wired connections with simple circuits and should be easily fixed by anyone halfway decent. The valves themselves are readily available of course. What's to bear in mind is they will need replacing at intervals so it is highly unlikely they can actually be done 'on a budget'.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
thewinelake. said:

They are good in winter, warming up a cold room *biggrin*

Not so good in a hot summer *scratch_one-s_head*

Psychedelicbiker

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies guys I will check out the amps recommended. Is there anywhere in the nw uk that sells the valve amps where i can listen? Btw this abrahamssen 2 thing, is that a wind up or something i should check out? I'm missing the joke.

Psychedelicbiker said:
Thanks for all the replies guys I will check out the amps recommended. Is there anywhere in the nw uk that sells the valve amps where i can listen? Btw this abrahamssen 2 thing, is that a wind up or something i should check out? I'm missing the joke.

It's not a wind up, it does exist, however getting to listen to it is difficult.

It does appear to be highly recommended by those that own it though..... nothing new there. ;-)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Psychedelicbiker said:

Audio Counsel in Saddleworth may be the nearest to you. Can't find many others, there is one dealer in Derby and one near Leicester as well. Abrahamsen dealer is in Cheltenham.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Psychedelicbiker said:

Sorry about that *smile*

The Abrahamsen V2.0 UP integrated is not a valve amp but is a very good amp none the less.

It does share some of the better qualities of a good valve amp especially in the midrange but overall it does sound quite different to most valve amps or solid state amps for that matter.

It will drive any speaker to high levels without clipping or strain, it packs a real punch when required but sounds sweet and delicate if the music is of that type, it performs equially well with all types and styles of music.

It is solid and well built with a huge 1000va power supply transformer and designed by one of the masters of amplifier design Per Abrahamsen, also an absolute bargain for the money imo.

Give Colin a call at IQ speakers for more info and demo possibilities.

http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/?gclid=CJfq-7nu9MgCFSoEwwodtMEDOQ#!abrahamsen-audio/ckbj

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Psychedelicbiker said:

Depends where you are, but if you're close to South Cheshire, you could come along and listen to mine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts