Sound system advice for social club run by volunteers please

victortaylor

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
We're looking for receiver/amp 120watts RMS ( important ) rated at 8 ohms impedance; 2 sets of speaker outputs A and B switchable ( A or B on or both A and B on); 2 Mic inputs preferred with vol and tone controls; selectable inputs for CD AUX MIC etc; remote would be handy for presentations; amp must be suitable for four speakers.

Any suggestions what speakers would be suitable would be appreciated.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'd seek advice from pro-audio shops / forums for guidance on suitable PA equipment.

Domestic h-fi isn't really suited and will probably cost a lot more and won't have the functions you'll need (especially for multiple microphones).

Theo

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Have a look at QTX Active PA Speakers, not really hi-end but you will be suprised at what you could get these days for a few hundred quid. Have them mounted on good stands & use your remaining budget on good quality microphones & source components. If you plan the setup carefully, you can do a very flexible system with minimal cabling & optimal full-range performance.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
I'd seek advice from pro-audio shops / forums for guidance on suitable PA equipment.

Domestic h-fi isn't really suited and will probably cost a lot more and won't have the functions you'll need (especially for multiple microphones).

+1

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I agree with chebby. What you're looking for is PA equipment not hifi equipment. Visit a local PA or pro-audio shop and see what they can offer you. Give these guys a call too as they will be able to explain exactly what you need. Clicky

When you've got a good idea of what you need consider checking out the second hand market too because you can find some really cheap PA equipment there.

victortaylor

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Just going a bit further WE're looking at pylehome PT39OAU But feel this might be a bit under powered for the room size ( approx 12m x 8m ) what do you think ?? Any good advice is desperately needed

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
victortaylor said:
Just going a bit further WE're looking at pylehome PT39OAU But feel this might be a bit under powered for the room size ( approx 12m x 8m ) what do you think ?? Any good advice is desperately needed

Victor, as pointed out by others, you are going down the wrong route. Home HiFi won't have the facilities you need. There are budget PA systems available for not a lot of money that will have multiple balanced mic inputs, stand a bit of knocking around and are designed for exactly your situation.

If you are willing to risk fleabay, just seach for 'pa system' - there is everything from kids toy pa systems for a few quid, to a complete package for an outdoor concert.

If fleabay is a step too far, try reputable pro audio stores - your requirement is exactly their bread and butter and they have packages available from a couple of hundred quid upward.

One point is that most budget pa systems will only come with two speakers. If you need 4, then buy two systems and daisychain the amps. This will have the advantage of being able to set the volume of the 'b' speakers separately.

laughing boy

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
The pylehome looks to cover most of your needs but since A+B speaker switching was on your want list I do not think this amp will deliver the goods. The mic inputs look to be unbalanced but the instruction manual does not go into that level of detail. If you have a mic on a longish lead, it is very likely to pick up hum. There is likely to be a suitable bit of kit for you out there but it will be in the PA area not Hi-Fi as others have stated.

I am not in the PA business but will have a look around for you. One thing which is important, how long are the cables likely to be to the loudspeakers?

Tim

laughing boy

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
+1 to andyjm.

I have had a look around and realise you are asking the near impossible to have all your needs in one box. I would look at getting a small and unintimidating mixer with rotary controls for volume on each channel and seperate CD player and FM tuner. You will need two mic inputs and two line inputs for the CD and tuner. You can look at such a mixer in Maplins, get the CD and tuner donated by members, (I bet there are some floating about) and pick your amplifiers to suit the needs of the two spaces you need to serve.

The only other issue is about the length of the speaker leads to the two sets of speakers. In the PA industry there is something called 100v line output which are a better way of serving distant speakers. It is simply a case of choosing the right amp and speaker combination for your hall's needs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts