Sound quality difference audio network players when using digital output

Peter v B

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi fellow forum members,

Who can answer my question:
Is there a difference in sound quality between audio network players when using their digital output, using my external DAC?

Peter v B (NL)

abacus

No, the sound quality will be determined by your external DAC.

NOTE: All of them will have different features and differ in the way they operate, which should always be taken into consideration before purchase.

Hope this helps

Bill

Peter v B

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Bill,

Your answer does help.
I thought there might be a difference in how good a player "translates" the music file into the digital audio output signal.
Being very happy with the sound of my DAC, I am thinking of buying a Hama DIT2000 network player, because of its price and positive user reviews: easy to use, good display (Instead of a Pioneer n-p01). It should replace my old Noxon Audio 2 network player.
I mainly use it to play music from my NAS and a few Dutch network radio stations....

Peter

kemills1

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi Peter,

I'm inclinded to believe the sound is manipulated in the digital domain. I've just read a review of the Moon Neo MIND (a dacless streamer) where this comment was made. Fans of Moon’s signature sound will be pleased with the tuning here: If the digital data isn't manipulated, perhaps WHF would like to elaborate.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Peter v B said:
Hi fellow forum members,

Who can answer my question: Is there a difference in sound quality between audio network players when using their digital output, using my external DAC?

Peter v B (NL)

it depends how that signal is presented to the DAC. In thoery if it's just passed through without any manipulation, they should all sound the same, however, if a player may have settings, or be set, to EQ, DSP etc it can and will affect how it sounds before it's reached the DAC.

kemills1

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
If you have something like Roon, that can manipulate the data before it’s even sent to the streamer over the network. It’s hard to know what your dac is receiving these days.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts