Sound processor preamps for around £2k

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Try again! I was planning to use an oppo 105 as my HD sound processor and DAC but am coming round to the view that may be a dedicated preamp processor would be better. I have been looking at a few and could do with a steer on which one may perform better at dual - music and movies.

Nad t187 - this seems to have an upgrade ability for new sound formats which isappealing

marrantz av8801 - perhaps the best features and may dual role better?

Onkyo 5509 gets good reviews particularly for movies - am I missing any?

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Funny, I was just thinking of those options, but also these two:

Audiolab 8200AP

Rotel RSP-1572

Both are pretty much renowned for being able to impress with movies and music (as are NAD and Marantz, for that matter... Onkyo, I never been impressed by with music, personally). The Audiolab doesn't have built-in HD decoders, but you can just as easily decode through your Oppo player. The only option that have potential of future hardware upgrades would indeed be the NAD T187, with it's MDC module construction. If advanced calibration is important, only the Marantz AV8801 and Onkyo PR-SC5509 offer top-dog Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (the NAD has the step-down MultEQ XT version).

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
I think the arcam is out for me as going for a sound processor will mean the BDP upgrade will have to wait. My yamaha Z9 won't decode HD.

I am drawn to the marantz but for no other reason than it appears the better deal!

it will be impossible for me to audition the various choices. Are you looking to test some of the options local to you?

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Arcam? That pre/pro is over your budget, I believe? If you should opt for the Audiolab, basically 'any' BD-player can decode the HD-bitstream and send it as LPCM so that's no issue even if you don't buy the Oppo. Anyhoo, the Marantz pre/pro does indeed seem interesting and I've heard nothing but extremely positive things about it so far. I'm not quite sure what to audition at home next, but the AV8801 is on my list (including NAD!). What will you use for power amplification, BTW?

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
I was hoping you wouldn't ask about amplification - ha ha. I am going to use the yamah z9. It had excellent amplification when it was built. I thought about changing it for a new av amp but I feel I would lose quality and can pay the same amount and have the best of two worlds - an amp with plenty of power and quality as well as a dedicated processor.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
In that case I think you'd be better off starting with a really good Blu-ray player with dedicated 7.1 analogue output that will decode the HD-bitstream and feed that into the 7.1 input of your Z9. I mean, that beast is a great machine, no? Have you considered this option? I would probably recommend the new Oppo BDP-105 that have dedicated high-end analogue section. This way you'll have access to all things HD and still enjoy the benefit of your Yamaha machine.

Then again I suppose you could go by your suggestion and exchange the Z9 for dedicated poweramp in the future. I just never heard of anyone using a receiver as a poweramp...

:?

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
:exmark: Me neither. I am not sure why it wouldnt work though. If the benefit of the 105 would be to provide HD sound and DAC then it may be better to have a dedicated processor to do this. My Sony blu ray isn't likely to under perform if I use the video processing on the processor. It produces good pictures as it is and am moving towards a projector which will probably perform the video processing for me. I just think option A enables me to go towards two units performing the role of amplification and processing better than 1. Not sure if this is right or not!!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You know what I think jc, and I agree with Rickydeg - go with the Oppo first and decide on the processor later.

The AV8801 should be with us next week, but promises to be a worthy opponent to the Onkyo 5509, only with some extra few features, and it could quite possibly sound better for two channel duties.

The main two processors within your price range are the Audiolab 8200AP and the Rotel RSP1572. These are far simpler machines, and while they don't have onboard room EQ, they're both excellent sounding processors, particularly where music is concerned.

Any current processor offering upgrades on sound formats will only be those that are closely based on existing ones - the only processor on the market at the moment that is truly upgradable to genuinely new sound formats is the Datasat RS20i.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Thanks will be interested to hear your views on the marrantz in due course. I see your point on the Oppo but there is little point using the blu ray to decode if i am planning to have it done via a processor in due course. Always appreciate the views but still not totally convinced - sorry!

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
If you are thinking of adding a processor to the Z9 you may be better trading the Yamaha in and looking an all new solution. For £3k you could consider the Onkyo TX-NR5010 which is highly capable. Depending on your plans you could also consider and Antthem MRX300 with a power amp - a very popular route for us right now. Slightly more discussion is reuqired to ascertain if this is the best route for you but it is a consideration.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Juzzie Wuzzie said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
You know what I think jc, and I agree with Rickydeg - go with the Oppo first and decide on the processor later.

David - does the Oppo-103 offer the same pre-amp approach that the 105 offers?

Apologies to the OP for the slight thread-hack.

Yes, it does :)

Obviously it won't quite sound as good as the 105 as the 105 uses the better DAC.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
This is really helpful debate thank you. The anthem option sounds interesting. The oppo 105 is the cheapest choice. The question is whether this combination will sound as good as using a dedicated processor such as the M 8801. I will be feeding it all into a projector and other sources will mainly be Internet TV rather than sky. I need it all to play music well although it wwill mainly be digital music via iTunes and of course I would like it to be adept at movies. :doh:

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Even before I read Nicks comments I was going to suggest that you trade in the Z9 and consider the Anthem MRX 300 with a power amp bolted on at a later date. This was my route. It outperforms (used as a pre/pro) my Arcam AVR 500 that it replaced and before that my Lexicon DC2 and ADA PTM160 power amp.

It is stunning with movies and seriously good with music.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
ric71 said:
Even before I read Nicks comments I was going to suggest that you trade in the Z9 and consider the Anthem MRX 300 with a power amp bolted on at a later date. This was my route. It outperforms (used as a pre/pro) my Arcam AVR 500 that it replaced and before that my Lexicon DC2 and ADA PTM160 power amp.

It is stunning with movies and seriously good with music.

Damn, ric71, sill wish I could have had your positive experience with Anthem when I was test-driving the MRX 700. Even though I think I did everything possible maybe I should have gotten you to do the ARC calibration for me! hehe To this day I can't imagine why it sounded the way it did, considering we have the same speakers.

:?

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Ha ha hey Ricky,

I have never understood why you didn't get on with it.

I reckon you just love Audyssey Dynamic EQ too much.

If you do give the Anthem another go I do fancy a weekend break he he!!

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
ric71 said:
Ha ha hey Ricky,

I have never understood why you didn't get on with it.

I reckon you just love Audyssey Dynamic EQ too much.

If you do give the Anthem another go I do fancy a weekend break he he!!

That could definitely be part of it. I do remember vividly how the surroundfield and overall effectiveness of the sound kind of "collapsed" with the Anthem in charge. And the MRX 700 didn't feel as vivid nor as powerful as my older Denon either. Strange. It also made my subwoofer come off as quite subdued and... thin. Correct, perhaps, but ultimately a bit boring. Lots of Anthem-users say the direct opposite (you included) so I have to wonder... despite running ARC so damn carefully multiple occations and positions things just never fell into place.

:roll:

PS! who could NOT use a weekend break? :rofl:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
jcshutts said:
This is really helpful debate thank you. The anthem option sounds interesting. The oppo 105 is the cheapest choice. The question is whether this combination will sound as good as using a dedicated processor such as the M 8801. I will be feeding it all into a projector and other sources will mainly be Internet TV rather than sky. I need it all to play music well although it wwill mainly be digital music via iTunes and of course I would like it to be adept at movies. :doh:

Well it has all the benefits of the Onkyo 5509 for movie reproduction, but should be better than the Onkyo for two channel performance. We'll see when it lands next week :)

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
IMO, Oppo BDP-105 is the best choice here when compared to the others. Limitations are no EQ and limited HDMI inputs but the superior two channel performance compensates more than enought.

There might be few pros & cons when used along with Yamaha Z9

+ You can use the additional HDMI inputs of Z9 as needed

+ When using the two channel output, Z9s pure direct mode equivalent can give a great performance option (by configuring this as 2 channel input on Z9)

+/- When Oppo's analog 7.1 output is used on Z9 then it might again convert it to digital but if it does so, it offers EQ

+/- With 7.1, you can use either Oppo or Z9 as pre-amp as ang how SQ meets your needs

As I was mentioning on another thread, I believe we are at the cusp of the new revolution and love being part of this :)

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Without wishing to annoy. This all sounds the right way to go but why not a preamp processor rather than the oppo?

surely the marrantz for example will do it better than the oppo feeding into the Z9. i take the point that people don't use receivers as power amps but surely that's what I will be doing by using the oppo and the z9. I take the point about the anthem but I have a competent amp albeit an anthem may do it better? However why change a multichannel amp that was constructed using high grade components. I don't believe the quality of amps have changes considerably in the past few years, have they?

i am probably missing something ( and boring everyone in the process) but I am not sure why this wouldn't work. :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts