sound loss... :-(

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, am at witts end with this now, any help/advice welcome. I am having trouble with the sound from my home cinema, the sound is fine for 10 mins or so then it just stops. The amp (an old jvc rx-6042s came free from a mate upgrading to HDMI) stays on and no lights flicker, the sound just stops then starts again at random(ish) intervals The speakers are only small sattelites and im running a (powered) 8" gale sub. All this stuff has cost me nowt but the sound (when working) is superb. I have SKY HD running to the amp via coaxial for sound (sky box-tv hdmi) also have PS3-hdmi to the tv (sharp aquos 42" lcd) and optical from PS3 to amp for sound. I just switch from DVD to TVsound on the remote depending on wether tv or PS3. Its no top end system by any means and im wondering weather the amp has just had it? have cleaned everything and the settings on the amp and the PS3 are all fine....AAArrrrrgggghhh

:-(

thanks

andy(depressed)

cwalduck

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
This sounds like an impedance problem, what are the small speakers that you are using? If the impedance is too low or high the amp will overheat causing it to cut out.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the responses. yes i am getting the loss from both sources, the optical from the PS3 and the coaxial from the sky hd box. as for the impedance im not sure, the small satellite speakers are from a panasonic home cinema set up(i know its a but of a mish mash..!) and i have set the amp accordingly for the speaker size after reading the insructions. Tha amp itself does not even get warm, well not on the outside at least. Im thinking a trip to richer sounds will be in order :-(. i never wanted a mighty system because of budget constraints and so on(the wife thinks this is all very unnecessary!) and this set up worked fine for quite some time, but now sadly, i can feel the wallet in for a beating. Problem is.. is it the amp, do i replace it only to find the same problem....

cheers

andy

cwalduck

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I would say that the speakers are causing the shutdown of the amp most of these type of speaker are matched to the all-in one home cinema setups, quit often they are 3ohm or lower speakers this will ultimately cause permanent damage to the amp. Most hifi speakers are 6-8 ohms.

A

Anonymous

Thanks lduck, will check speakers with trusty multimeter. I can get my hands on some better ones to try, if they are ok then off to richer sounds i go happy days :)

andy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts