Sound lacks excitement!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Sony bdp 581, Onkyo tx-21 reciever (1982 model 30*2 @ .06 thd), a pair of Mission 731 monitors, Definitive Technologies sub and a Thorens td165 tt with a Rega rb250 arm. Music sounds great on the turntable and sacd, however cd's and music streamed over wifi in .wav lack excitement, the imaging and level of detail seem ok, but the music lacks excitement and impact. Would I be better served by getting an outboard dac or getting an onkyo TX-8050. I found a tx-8050 as a refurb from an authorized dealer for $220.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
to be honest, doesn't sound like upgrading anything is going to help much as you say that the turntable and sacd sound great, so sounds more like you have a preference for the media, rather than the stereo.

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Well I can't help but think that the real issue is that you are using a relatively cheap blue ray disk player as your primary streaming audio/CD source.

On the other hand, you have a very good quality TT/arm (although you don't mention cartridge?) that in 'new money' would probably be the equivilent cost of 10 times your current digital source.

So while I think that the Onkyo TX-8050 is a great value receiver/streamer and could be a good upgrade (particularly as it has a MM phono input for your TT), it may not by itself be the answer.

Depending on your space/budget, you could get a seperate dedicated CD player. I rather like my linear no oversampling Consonance as it is close to TT for 'excitment', but that said CDs are rather old digital technology and probably won't have the long-lasting appeal of vinyl and so I would be looking at the moment to stick to a combination of your TT and a better quality streaming option than you currently have (although of course you would keep that for video/SACD reasons).

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
RobertMorin said:
I have a Sony bdp 581, Onkyo tx-21 reciever (1982 model 30*2 @ .06 thd), a pair of Mission 731 monitors, Definitive Technologies sub and a Thorens td165 tt with a Rega rb250 arm. Music sounds great on the turntable and sacd, however cd's and music streamed over wifi in .wav lack excitement, the imaging and level of detail seem ok, but the music lacks excitement and impact. Would I be better served by getting an outboard dac or getting an onkyo TX-8050. I found a tx-8050 as a refurb from an authorized dealer for $220.

I think the main problem is that you don't have a integrated amplifier , receiver can not deliver an great sound for music .

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
RobertMorin said:

I think the main problem is that you don't have a integrated amplifier , receiver can not deliver an great sound for music .

Really? The receiver seems to be OK with the TT and SACD.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts