Which Speakers Best for Rich, Warm Sound?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I am in the lucky position of being able to buy a new system from scratch. At the moment I am using an old sony surround system and airport express to access my music (all ripped in 256/320kps to iTunes). I also have all my CDs, but find I don't use them much. I have lusted after a great quality audio system for ages - now is the time!

My one good quality purchase so far is a pair of Sennheiser HD595s which have highlighted the performance increase possible, even with compressed files. I am looking to buy a good quality system that will last for years. In terms of preferences I enjoy the Sennheiser's sound but would rather buy speakers (and system) with a richer, warmer sound; I find the Sennheisers a little soulless and lacking in excitement. I listen to a wide range of music: opera, alternative, classical and rock/pop.

I recently auditioned the Monitor Audio BX2s and BX5s biwired with both Arcam Solo Neo and a top end Denon AV amplifier. I found the Denon too forward and not sufficiently integrated (I felt the highs stood out too much). I loved the Arcam sound particularly with the BX5s.

I am going to include a Sonos S5 with ZP plugged into amp for a second room.

For the living room (16 x 12ft) I would ideally have a system that could play 5.1 for blue ray and TV. However, my first audition would suggest that I wouldn't get the same musicality with such a system. I am more concerned with music than movie surround.

My budget is limited to a max of £1500 for everything (possibly less the Sonos) I am therefore interested in end of line/used products, particularly to get the best speakers possible.

So then, a blank sheet of paper and lots of questions:

1. Which speaker manufacturers offer the greatest warmth and relaxed sound? ( I find some just a bit 'tinny' sounding)

2. There are some great deals on Monitor Audio BR5s at the moment; would these sound similar to the BX5s? ( I prefer the look of floor standers and thought they were (slightly) better than the BX2s.

3. Is there a (reasonably priced) AV amp that would offer a more 'Arcam' type sound? Anyone heard the new Onkyo TX-SR608?

As a newbie to this world, I would appreciate any advice you guys have. Thanks!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Rob Applegarth:
Hello,

I am in the lucky position of being able to buy a new system from scratch. At the moment I am using an old sony surround system and airport express to access my music (all ripped in 256/320kps to iTunes). I also have all my CDs, but find I don't use them much. I have lusted after a great quality audio system for ages - now is the time!

My one good quality purchase so far is a pair of Sennheiser HD595s which have highlighted the performance increase possible, even with compressed files. I am looking to buy a good quality system that will last for years. In terms of preferences I enjoy the Sennheiser's sound but would rather buy speakers (and system) with a richer, warmer sound; I find the Sennheisers a little soulless and lacking in excitement. I listen to a wide range of music: opera, alternative, classical and rock/pop.

I recently auditioned the Monitor Audio BX2s and BX5s biwired with both Arcam Solo Neo and a top end Denon AV amplifier. I found the Denon too forward and not sufficiently integrated (I felt the highs stood out too much). I loved the Arcam sound particularly with the BX5s.

For the living room (16 x 12ft) I would ideally have a system that could play 5.1 for blue ray and TV. However, my first audition would suggest that I wouldn't get the same musicality with such a system. I am more concerned with music than movie surround.

My budget is limited to a max of £1500 for everything (possibly less the Sonos) I am therefore interested in end of line/used products, particularly to get the best speakers possible.

1. Which speaker manufacturers offer the greatest warmth and relaxed sound? ( I find some just a bit 'tinny' sounding)

2. There are some great deals on Monitor Audio BR5s at the moment; would these sound similar to the BX5s? ( I prefer the look of floor standers and thought they were (slightly) better than the BX2s.

3. Is there a (reasonably priced) AV amp that would offer a more 'Arcam' type sound? Anyone heard the new Onkyo TX-SR608?

You are looking for a lot for £1500. If you like a certain sound, you will need to demo for sure. I don't thinknthe Onkyo is for you though.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Rob Applegarth:
Hello,

You are looking for a lot for £1500. If you like a certain sound, you will need to demo for sure. I don't thinknthe Onkyo is for you though.

A

Anonymous

Guys, thanks for all the tips so far. I'm increasingly thinking of an av receiver to kill 2 birds with one stone. Which would be best for music?

A

Anonymous

im thinking of doing the same thing as you. getting an av receiver instead of a stereo amp but the av receiver has to be able to play music to a decent level like a stereo amp

T

the record spot

You could check out Yamaha's RX-V667 which is available with £100 off at £350 delivered. Best check it out instore in a demo if you can. Big advantage of this is you can assign some of the amps internally to deliver 180wpc in stereo. It's a high current design too (not all are) but don't ask me for the technicalities behind it - try an engineer. Added benefits are phono stage, great headphone amp apparently, fine pre-amp stage and of course, multichannel capability if you go that route in time.

Many say that stereo amps are better for music and I'd normally be inclined to agree but this one's had a good write-up and ultimately, sometimes it's good to challenge these established beliefs as the technology improves.

A

Anonymous

im actually thinking about the 667 as well. for about a week now i have been going back and forth between the 667 and the a-s500. i cant demo either due to the location of where i am so i have to go by what people are saying. do u reckon the 667 is just as good as the a-s500 playing music?

T

the record spot

No idea mate - never heard either. On the other hand, the functionality of the 667's very impressive for the money. Your call though. Maybe check out some Yamaha forums perhaps?

Paul.

I have the BR5's and used to use them with a Marantz PM 7200, this was a very warm setup. I wouldn't go for an Onkyo if you want warm, or an AV amp full stop on your budget. Im using an Onkyo 805 (which has a mammoth amp section in it), and have the BR5's bi-amped, detail is significantly better than the Marantz, (especially with digital connections thanks to the good DAC) but its a little cold and un-involving. Hoping the REL T3 that shows up on the weekend will improve things...

You need to choose which is more important to you, Music or Film.

Rob Applegarth:

Hello,

Any of the Arcams matched with Focal speakers will give you years of pleasure, and not doubt, the presentation you crave.

Try and listen to the newer FMJ A18/28 with any of the Focals. It won't necessarily be warm but is ideal for long listening sessions.

A

Anonymous

Paul Hobbs:You need to choose which is more important to you, Music or Film.
That's a good point. If you want AV or to use an AV amp then the Monitor Audios would be fine. If you prefer music then I'd look at Chario plus a Marantz stereo amp which combination I've heard, and gives warmth plus detail.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Focal speakers are a good choice for a warmer sound - you could just about get everything within your budget. If music is the priority you would be better off with a dedicated two channel amplifier, but having said that, Yamaha's new RX-V667 is one of the more impressive amps we've heard for music and is comfortably within your budget. In answer to your questions:

1) Focal speakers would be a good bet. These would match nicely with the 667 AVR and offer the warmth (and quality) you crave. Within the total budget, even with the Sonos S5 and ZP included, you could go for the Focal 806 speakers (slightly larger stand mounters) and a pair of Partington speaker stands filled to get the most out of them.

2) Given that you want warmth, I would recommend Focal over these - if you really want floorstanders, the Focal 714s are wonderfully balanced speakers - a little more than the 806 mentioned about but this could be absorbed by not needing the stands.

3) The Yamaha V667 (as suggested above) to my ears is very close to Yamaha's award winning integrated amp with the benefit of being an AVR as well. It's well matched to either the 806 or 714 speakers and you could get both of these within your budget along with the S5 and ZP.

In terms of cabling, Chord Silver Screen is an excellent cable, but depending on the length to the speakers, you could move up in the Chord range if budget permits - the golden rule is to aim for about 10% on cables/accessories to make sure you get the most from the system.

A

Anonymous

Rob, I would personally add Cambridge to your AV amp list, especially the CA Azure 640R, which was replaced by the 650 but is a better amp musically (without some extra superfluos connectivity) and could save you some cash if you can track one down through Richer Sounds...it's a great all-round AV amp in my opinion...

As for speakers, I've heard a variety of speakers through mine, including B&W and Quads and liked the latter best for the lush sound that you're looking for...not sure about other models mentioned above as I haven't heard them partnered with the CA...

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
A rich, warm sound? I think that'd be something from either ProAc or Spendor, though I'm not sure whether your budget would stretch that high.

If Spendor, perhaps the S3/5R which is said to have a wonderful midrange and sweet treble (but perhaps not a lot of bass). If ProAc, perhaps a Tablette.

Someone before me has suggested the NAD 326BEE amp and I would fully endorse this - it's a great budget amp and can drive many speakers with no problems.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
If budget of £1500 maybe Castle Knight 5 (don't need stands!) and Marantz PM 7004 amp or Creek Evo.

Or if you want a warm sound on the cheap just look at second hand equipment!

A

Anonymous

1500 is a tight budget so go for second hand. If you really want smooth, "organic" and involving sound than try to find an Audio Note AZ-1 or AZ-2 which makes the likes of Focal, MA or modern Spendors sound harsh and bright. Pair them with used Sugden or Audio Innovation Alto electronics and you got yourself an utterly musical system (no looker though).

A

Anonymous

Wow, it's a while since I logged on to the forum - thank you for all of the suggestions.

After much deliberation and a few auditions I decided to go for the Marantz PM6003 - I felt for the price that it gave the type of sound I wanted. The Arcam FMJ A-18 was excellent (and on offer at SSAV at the mo) but I couldn't justify the extra price...the CA 650A was also good but not as 'warm' a sound and £100 more.

I was unhappy with speakers in my budget (though the BX5s and most of all the B&W 684s were very good). I looked at Castle, Spendor and ProAc secondhand. I have bought some Spendor SP1s from Ebay, they are over 25 years old and not got them yet but think they'll sound great (I'm not too fussed by bass and volume). I can't wait to try it all out.

I think the only real downside is that the Spendors are pretty big 30x30x64 + the sand-filled metal stands included in the deal. They will also need to be a fair way from the wall so fingers crossed the fit in the room ok!

Thanks again for the tips.

A

Anonymous

Singslinger:

Someone before me has suggested the NAD 326BEE amp and I would fully endorse this - it's a great budget amp and can drive many speakers with no problems.

I would agree there too. I had a NAD C320BEE with mission speakers. They worked together to produce a very warm and quite bassy sound which I enjoyed for years.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Another good option is the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Loudspeakers which sounds good with Arcam Amp if you can still get hold of it.

A

Anonymous

I have now got the system set up. The Spendors sound amazing, incredibly detailed, yet relaxed. They are better than anything I've heard in the midrange. Volume is more than sufficient, and bass is limited, but more than adequate for neighbour-friendly domestic listening. I'm very happy with the results. Thank you for all the advice.

TRENDING THREADS