Sound from web content on TV through AV Receiver

fahim

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi...

Wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me:

I have an Onkyo TX-SR876 AV Receiver and a Sony Bravia KDL-46NX703 television. The AV Receiver is connected to the Television via a HDMI cable (QED Performance HDMI 1.3 if I correctly recollect) and all other devices (Sky+ HD, PS3 etc.) are connected to the receiver - I use the sound on my reciever for everything and even have managed to get the TV switching on/off controlling the power of the Receiver as well as controller the volume on the receiver - the TV speakers automatically switch themselves off when the receiver is on.

The issue is with web content such as YouTube and iPlayer using the TV, I don't get any sound (from the receiver) but what this does do is automatically switch the receiver to the Game/TV input.

What I would (ideally) like is sound from web content on the TV from the receiver without having to run another cable between the TV and Receiver.

As far as I am aware the receiver doesn't support ARC - and I am not sure the cable does either (doesn't it need to be HDMI 1.4?), but am baffled as to why it is switching input automatically, and I believe that it must be receiving a signal from the TV to do so - so why no sound?

Any views would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

fahim

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fahim said:
What I would (ideally) like is sound from web content on the TV from the receiver without having to run another cable between the TV and Receiver.

As far as I am aware the receiver doesn't support ARC

It's not going to be possible to do what you want then.

If the TV supports ARC it might be attempting to send a control signal back down the HDMI to the receiver which might explain why it's switching to the input (this is a guess though) but without an additional cable you're not going to get any sound with your current setup.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
As the above post.

Looks to me like you're going to have to run an optical lead out of the tv to the amp, as there is no ARC support on the amp via HDMI as far as i can see.

The ARC might well be included in your HDMI cables which as you or the tv try & switch, the Onkyo thinks it is receiving it from a different source via the electrical signal, caused by it sending it down the ARC channel of the HDMI. I'm sure someone will correct what i've said if it's wrong.

Regards..

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
f1only said:
The ARC might well be included in your HDMI cables which as you or the tv try & switch, the Onkyo thinks it is receiving it from a different source via the electrical signal, caused by it sending it down the ARC channel of the HDMI. I'm sure someone will correct what i've said if it's wrong.

More likely the Sony's Bravia Link HDMI-CEC system sending the switch signal to the receiver. You can get round this by turning off the Bravia Link on the TV.

fahim

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks all... makes sense as an explanation. May be time to consider replacing the reciever so that the last piece of the puzzle works!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts