Sound bars - a good boost to tv sound?

Rich F

Feb 7, 2008
Visit site
I am looking to get some oomph to my tv sound. My girlfriend has banned any talk of 5.1 speakers but she may compromise with a sound bar. I am not too bothered if the sound is not true surround sound but obviously a good sound quality is desired. I have looked at the Denon DHT-FS3 but have yet to find it in a shop to test. One thing that worries my girlfriend is that every time the tv is on the sound bar will pump out an unholy racket! Are you able to turn the volume (and base) down to a reasonable listening level while still getting the benefit of better sound?

I notice the Yamaha sound bars "bounce" sound off of the walls but only have a small sweet spot. I am interested to know if anyone knows if these sound bars are going to alienate me from my neighbours or can you get a good result from them without breaking the sound barrier!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Wow, I started writing an incredibly sexist comment on this, then realised it was sexist, so tried to add the fact that sex didn't actually come into it, then ended up deleting the whole lot as I couldn't be bothered!

Anyway! My point was, anyone that "bans" talk of 5.1 (be they male or female) clearly has no idea how good they sound. [quote user="Rich F"]One thing that worries my girlfriend is that every time the tv is on the sound bar will pump out an unholy racket![/quote]
And anyone who's never heard of volume control (be it on a TV, 5.1 system or a soundbar) doesn't deserve decent hi-fi!

In my opinion, you need to argue back the 5.1 corner - a soundbar is okay, but it's more than a compromise, it's basically slightly improved stereo. 5.1 is sooo sooo sooo much better!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"]
Wow, I started writing an incredibly sexist comment on this, then realised it was sexist, so tried to add the fact that sex didn't actually come into it, then ended up deleting the whole lot as I couldn't be bothered!

Anyway! My point was, anyone that "bans" talk of 5.1 (be they male or female) clearly has no idea how good they sound. [quote user="Rich F"]One thing that worries my girlfriend is that every time the tv is on the sound bar will pump out an unholy racket![/quote] And anyone who's never heard of volume control (be it on a TV, 5.1 system or a soundbar) doesn't deserve decent hi-fi!

In my opinion, you need to argue back the 5.1 corner - a soundbar is okay, but it's more than a compromise, it's basically slightly improved stereo. 5.1 is sooo sooo sooo much better!
[/quote]

And it doesn't have to be intrusive, space consuming, ugly and wire trailing..................once bitten forever smitten.

p.s. ditch her 8)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts