Sound bar connections without HDMI

Beefheart

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I am thinking about replacing my 5.1 system with a sound bar. If the sound bar has no hdmi how do you connect a blu Ray and the TV to the sound Bar so you can switch between the two? However at times I would still want the TV to play through the tv speakers to keep her indoors happy, the sound bar has one optical and one set of rca

Martin

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Any particular reason why you would down grade? no offence, i'm sure you have a good reason. The TV will always sound better through your 5.1 sytem but if you go for a Soundbar that will give you and you other half much better sound than the TV speakers.

I would stick with the 5.1 if you could.

As for connections. Until you get a sound soundbar and tell us what connections it has it's hard to give an answer. Also what outputs does you TV have?

duncansbby

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi - as most soundbars have HDMI I am thinking that you are considering a Sonos playbar, which only connects via optial audio. In this case the sounbar will output whatever signal is coming from your TV, so check it passes out a dolby signal. If this is the only connection then it will not play your blu-rays in DTS sound.

There are other soundbars in the market that have at leat two HDMi inputs allowing you to connect the blu-ray player directly to the soundbar

sorry - didn't read your post properly - not sure about the RCA inputs

D

Deleted member 116933

I think Glacialpath is correct but if have to make the comprimise then make it good B&W, monitor asb2, dali kubik or the arcam solo.

Pseronally if i had to do it i would an amp with a dac build like the Rotel ra12 with some really good speaker like the B&W 685 (is that the new model?) or if you want some serious bang B&W 683 s2.

Essentailly the same as a sound bar but the sound quality would be so much better.

With sort of set up and the a sound bar that dosnt decode DTS and DD you would set your blu ray player and tv to PCM and make connection through optical and coaxal cables.

TRENDING THREADS