Sony XR-55A80J

kdbur

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Still no BBC1 etc catch-ups? What matter tech if lacking content? No sale here.

Yeah, not good really but I would still buy the Sony over any other TV and just use an Apple TV with it, till it was sorted.

Now, if Sony played the Samsung game, of not putting Dolby Vision in their sets, I wouldn't buy it.

mcarans

Dec 27, 2021
Visit site
What TV sound mode was used in this part of the review: "the A80J/A84J is still capable of extending effects a good way beyond the TV’s edges, doing a good job with obvious surround effects, such as Joi’s disembodied voice when K returns to his apartment in Blade Runner 2049."?

Was it "Standard", "Cinema", "Dolby Audio" or some other sound mode and was it used with defaults or were the settings customised?

mcarans

Dec 27, 2021
Visit site
Since posting, I have experimented with the TV's "Dolby Audio" sound mode for the internal speakers. Out of the box, it sounds tinny compared to "Cinema".

In case it helps anyone, here is how I have improved it, at least for my ears. I used the equaliser in the classic smiley settings (as described here) which helped. Maximising the surround effect seems to work well and I also turned off Dolby compression.

I put 125Hz on +6, 250Hz on +4, 500Hz on +2, 1kHz on 0, 2kHz on 0, 4kHz on +2 and 8kHz on +4.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts