SONY STRDA2400ES and Sky HD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just purchased the above and have been reading how to set up in the guide. Admittedly this isnt my strong point. My hope is that i can use just one HDMI cable to the TV ( Samsung UE46B8000 ) and then link the receiver to the Sky and Blu ray using additional HDMI cables. Problem is i am reading and hearing that for optimum sound i need to connect an optical cable from the AV receiver to the Sky box. Is this so / necessary ? Also the same is mentioned with regards to connecting an optical cable to the TV to enjoy multi channel surround sound. Again is this necessary ? I thought an HDMI cable was supposed to do all this. Advice / help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No. The problem is that Sky+HD only outputs stereo over HDMI, and you need the optical cable to carry the 5.1-channel Dolby Digital Soundtracks when they are available.

As for the optical cable from the TV to the receiver, this is only required if you want to feed the sound from the telly's internal tuner through the surround system - ie when the Sky box is off. If you're happy to have the Sky box on at all times - as most people seem to be - you don't need any optical connection from the TV to the receiver.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
SkyHD boxes do not carry 5.1 sound via HDMI. This is why you need the optical cable. I've had this working successfully for me with the same amp. Optical cable and HDMI from Sky box into amp - HDMI cable from amp into TV. Bluray should be HDMI cable from player into amp

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
slatts:
I have just purchased the above and have been reading how to set up in the guide. Admittedly this isnt my strong point. My hope is that i can use just one HDMI cable to the TV ( Samsung UE46B8000 ) and then link the receiver to the Sky and Blu ray using additional HDMI cables. Problem is i am reading and hearing that for optimum sound i need to connect an optical cable from the AV receiver to the Sky box. Is this so / necessary ? Also the same is mentioned with regards to connecting an optical cable to the TV to enjoy multi channel surround sound. Again is this necessary ? I thought an HDMI cable was supposed to do all this. Advice / help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Sky+HD isn't capable of sending Dolby Digital 5.1 over HDMI, only over optical, so if you watch a channel that has this multichannel audio (e.g. some movie channels), you'd need an optical digital connection to get the full 5.1 soundtrack.

That said, the vast majority of channels on Sky have only stereo audio anyway, so if you want you could always just connect via HDMI, and set your 2400ES to create 'virtual' 5.1 from the original 2.0 track (by setting it to output Dolby Pro-Logic or DTS Neo:6).

I don't know of any Freeview channels that have multichannel audio (can anyone confirm?), so I'd say an optical connection from TV to amp would be unnecessary.

EDIT: Beaten to it! Twice!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your advice. I need to ask another question if anyone can help. I have been handed down a Bose Acoustimass 5 series 3 surround sound system with 5 cube speakers and a non powered sub. I know theyre not everyones choice but i am hoping they will do until i can afford some Kefs. The thing is i dont know if the sub will work with the Sony receiver as from what i can see it operates by wiring it inline with two of the speakers. This must surely prevent fine adjustments to the two speakers linked to it. Can i wire it in an alternative way or should i be looking at a powered sub that can work with the cubes ?

Thanks

Mark

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts